Caribou Gear Tarp

New Mexico - Terk Overturned

nmtaxi

This is huge news for residents of NM. While I think the tag allocation to NR for antelope, elk and deer is way too greedy in NM, the allocation for bighorn, oryx and ibex was way too generous. With the Terk rule being overturned, those exotics and bighorn species are now subject to the same quotas as the rest of the species.

Judge sides with sportsmen, drops Terk injunction
Unclear how decision will affect 2014 Big Game Draw
A five-year effort by the New Mexico Wildlife Federation paid off today when a federal judge dismissed the so-called Terk injunction, a ruling that has limited the number of bighorn sheep, oryx and ibex licenses allocated to resident hunters.
As a result of today’s decision, New Mexico residents will receive far more hunting opportunity for arguably the state’s most sought-after licenses – bighorn sheep. In the past, residents have received as little as 7 percent of some bighorn licenses.
“This is a banner day for New Mexico hunters, and for the New Mexico Wildlife Federation,” said NMWF Executive Director Garrett VeneKlasen. “Today’s decision eliminates a blatant discrimination imposed on New Mexico resident hunters for more than 30 years. But it only occurred because New Mexico Wildlife Federation – and particularly our previous executive director, Jeremy Vesbach – spoke out on behalf of all resident sportsmen, just as our organization has been doing for 100 years.”
NMWF brought the Terk injunction to hunters’ attention in 2009 in the Outdoor Reporter. It was the first time many New Mexico sportsmen had detailed information about why oryx, ibex and bighorn sheep hunts were not governed by the state’s resident quota law.
The injunction stemmed from a 1974 lawsuit filed by Texas hunter David Terk over the higher license fees and lower allocation for the three species, which were the only species subject to a state quota at the time. Although Terk initially lost his case, he appealed on the grounds that New Mexico’s law violated the federal Equal Protection Clause. On that count, he won, and New Mexico did not appeal. A judge ordered the injunction in 1977.
But the legal landscape changed over the years, with additional court rulings and new laws in Congress, and it appeared to many hunters that New Mexico had grounds to appeal Terk. In 2010, at the request of NMWF, the Department Game and Fish asked Attorney General Gary King for a legal opinion on whether Terk could successfully be challenged. A year later the AG’s Office said it could.
In 2012, Vesbach specifically asked the State Game Commission in Ruidoso to pursue a Terk appeal. The Commission agreed, and in early 2013 the Department’s attorney filed its motion. NMWF and other hunting groups including Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife, the Wild Sheep Foundation and Safari Club International filed “friend of the court” briefs supporting the Department.
Earlier today, U.S. District Judge Christina Romero issued her answer. She agreed with the Department of Game and Fish – that the Terk injunction is no longer equitable because of three major changes in applicable law since 1977 – and lifted the injunction.
That means Game and Fish must treat bighorn sheep, oryx and ibex like all other big game hunts and allocate 84 percent of draw licenses to resident hunters. As of Monday afternoon it wasn’t clear whether Game and Fish will be able to incorporate the changes in this year’s draw.
“All New Mexico hunters should thank the Game Commission and the Department of Game and Fish for pursuing this legal challenge,” VeneKlasen said. “But we also need to acknowledge that sportsmen were the driving force here. This just shows that New Mexico sportsmen can accomplish big things when they work together and with our wildlife managers to achieve their goals.”

I'm glad I drew an oryx tag when I did.

I've always felt that NM should reduce the tag allocations for NR's on the ibex, oryx, and bighorns for sure. Its not right for NM residents to watch a majority of their bighorn opportunities go to NR's.

That said, New Mexico's overall tag allocation system is in need of some serious revisions.

I highly encourage NM residents to just flat do away with ALL transferable landowner tags.

I also highly encourage NM residents to do away with any outfitter set aside tags as well.

Once those two tag give-aways are done away with, just have a 90-10 split on NR and R tags for sheep, oryx, and ibex. For elk, deer, and antelope go with an 85-15 split for R and NR.

I feel that NM Residents have targeted only NR tag allocations to improve Resident opportunities, when transferable land owner tags and the outfitter sponsored tags are what is really killing opportunity for both R and NR DIY hunters.

Its really too bad that the Resident sportsmen of New Mexico lack the courage and spine to tackle the real problem (landowner and outfitter tags) and instead kick NR's in the teeth. The path of least resistance I suppose, but a path lacking vision, courage, and concern for NR's.

Greed is ruining hunting...period.

The email that I got from the New Mexico Department of Game and Fish said "Beginning with this year's draw". How can they change this effective for this year? I've already applied based on the current regulations that don't mention anything about nonresident quotas for those species and now they are going to change that up mid year?

This is sure good news for the New Mexico outfitters, I bet they get a ton of folks trying to get in that 10% quota. Terrible, TERRIBLE news for DIY non residents with the odds dropping down to 6% max. There are a ton of sheep units that will result in no tags being allocated to even have a chance at. I think that actually means that a DIY NR will not even be eligible for a rifle Ibex tag.

The real issue I have with this is that I already applied and they are holding my money. That is bogus and something that may be illegal; given that you applied and then they changed the allocations after the fact and while they are holding your money that you thought gave you "X" odds. Unlike other states that threaten to change allocations in the future and have already held a good amount of my money for me to obtain bonus points, at least I am not losing anything in New Mexico except for this year. Had I known that I would only be eligible for 6% of the licenses, being unguided, I certainly would have not paid to play. That is a ridiculously low amount of tags given the applicants and the limited amount of these tags. I certainly won't be giving New Mexico any more money in the future, especially since I always keep my license instead of having it refunded.

Last edited:
I'm not normally one to complain about non-resident allocation, and I have thought that NM resident hunters have been getting screwed on the sheep, oryx and ibex allocations. But it really pisses me off that they decided to change the non-resident allocation after the draw deadline. I now have $4,810 wrapped up in bighorn sheep and ibex applications, for which there can be one unguided sheep tag and zero unguided ibex tags. Perhaps they will allow up to 16% from the entire non-resident pool, as there was no option to designate guided or unguided on the application this year. In that case, there would be up to 2 tags for each species (for any weapon ibex).

This has got to be the worst case of changing horses midstream we have seen so far in the tag draw game. At least they didn't have a point system in place beforehand.

I agree. Not sure how they can make these rule changes for this year.
Buzz, I agree with you whole heartedly. The NMWF has taken up some good fights, but the landowner tag issue is one they don't want to touch. And in the end, takes away far more tags from residents than anything else. They current split, along with the outfitter welfare tags is pretty much embarrassing.

I'm right there with Oak and Monteman11...New Mexico is holding a big pile of my cash and I dont think there will be any sheep or ibex tags available at all.

I read on another board that there has to be at least 9 sheep tags in a unit before a NR DIY tag is even issued.

This is going to get ugly I think.

I agree Oak. I agree the residents, to an extent, where getting screwed but at the same time to change it this year is absolutely ridiculous. I have a large amount of money on hold by New Mexico which is worthless. Only being eligible for 6% of the tag pool as an unguided NR is laughable. I can't even seem to understand how this is legal. I essentially signed a contract by applying agreeing to the parameters they set forth. For them to change the regulations after I applied AND paid has to violate some sort of law. You couldn't get away with that in any other circumstance I can think up.

I just checked and the current Oryx tags are out of a pool of 49 so 6% would be 2.94 tags and Ibex any weapon is a pool of 25 so that would be 1.5 tags at 6%. Not sure if they round up or down.

I don't see how they could make this effective this year, you weren't required to apply with an outfitter for those tags this year so the 10% quota would be moot. The way they do the other tags that would actually slide over to the resident pool, not the nonresident.

I'm right there with Oak and Monteman11...New Mexico is holding a big pile of my cash and I dont think there will be any sheep or ibex tags available at all.

I read on another board that there has to be at least 9 sheep tags in a unit before a NR DIY tag is even issued.

This is going to get ugly I think.

Exactly, I think there will be 1-2 tags available to NR as a whole in the sheep category and 1 rifle Ibex tag available to unguided NR. That is the worst odds of any draw in the nation and surely one that won't garner them any support in the future from DIY NR. Residents want want and want, it is time for them to pay up I suppose. Conservation ain't free and I can see this turning into a big auction state to help offset the bill/loss of NR funds (expensive license fees)

Ibex any weapon is a pool of 25 so that would be 1.5 tags at 6%. Not sure if they round up or down.

I don't see how they could make this effective this year, you weren't required to apply with an outfitter for those tags this year so the 10% quota would be moot. The way they do the other tags that would actually slide over to the resident pool, not the nonresident.

You're right. My math hiccuped due to the steam coming out of my ears. ;)

I think they have to round down the way the rule is written.

Seasons for Rocky Mountain and Desert Bighorn Sheep
Hunt Area Hunt Dates Hunt Code Licenses Bag
Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep _____________________________________________
Unit 45 Pecos Mountains . . . . . . . . . . Aug. 16–22. . . . . BHS–1–101 . 2 . Ram
Unit 45 Pecos Mountains . . . . . . . . . . Aug. 23–29. . . . . BHS–1–102 . 1 . Ram
Unit 45 Pecos Mountains - Youth Only . . . . . . Aug. 23–29. . . . . BHS–1–103 . 1 . Ram
Unit 53(a) Wheeler Peak . . . . . . . . . . Sept. 6–12 . . . . . BHS–1–106 . 4 . Ram
Units 53(b) and 55 Latir Mountains . . . . . . . .Aug. 9–15 . . . . . BHS–1–109 . 4 . Ram
Units 53(b) and 55 Latir Mountains . . . . . . . Aug. 30–Sept. 5 . . . BHS–1–110 . 11 . Ewe
Units 53(b) and 55 Latir Mountains - Youth Only. . Aug. 30–Sept. 5 . . . BHS–1–111 . 1 . Ewe
(a) Unit 53 portion south of N.M. Hwy. 38 only.
(b) Unit 53 portion north of N.M. Hwy. 38 only.
Desert bighorn sheep _____________________________________________________
Unit 27 Peloncillo Mountains. . . . . . . . . .Nov. 1–30 . . . . . BHS–1–100 2 . . Ram
Unit 26 Hatchet Mountains . . . . . . . . . .Oct. 1–15 . . . . . BHS–1–114 3 . . Ram
Unit 26 Hatchet Mountains . . . . . . . . . .Oct. 16–31. . . . . BHS–1–115 3 . . Ram
Unit 19 White Sands Missile Range(1) . . . . . . .Dec. 14–Jan. 1, '15. . BHS–1–116 2 . . Ram
Unit 20 Caballo Mountains . . . . . . . . . .Nov. 16–30. . . . . BHS–1–118 1 . . Ram
Unit 20 Caballo Mountains . . . . . . . . . .Dec. 1–15 . . . . . BHS–1–119 1 . . Ram
Unit 20 Fra Cristobal Mountains(2) . . . . . . . .Oct. 1–15 . . . . . BHS–1–120 2 . . Ram
Unit 20 Fra Cristobal Mountains
- Youth Only(2). . .Oct. 31–Nov. 14. . . BHS–1–122 1 . . Ram
Unit 13 Ladron Mountains . . . . . . . . . .Dec. 1–31 . . . . . BHS–1–123 1 . . Ram

Yeah - how are you going to get 6% of 1 tag? Or 2 tags? If they do it based on the 6% rule by unit there will be no tags available for nonresidents at all.

Maybe they will limit it to 6% of the total sheep tags like some other states do (except they limit it to 10% of total). Looks like it is going to be best case scenario 1 nonresident sheep tag available for DIY nonresidents when this goes into effect.

Last edited:
Seasons for Rocky Mountain and Desert Bighorn Sheep
Hunt Area Hunt Dates Hunt Code Licenses Bag
Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep _____________________________________________
Unit 45 Pecos Mountains . . . . . . . . . . Aug. 16–22. . . . . BHS–1–101 . 2 . Ram
Unit 45 Pecos Mountains . . . . . . . . . . Aug. 23–29. . . . . BHS–1–102 . 1 . Ram
Unit 45 Pecos Mountains - Youth Only . . . . . . Aug. 23–29. . . . . BHS–1–103 . 1 . Ram
Unit 53(a) Wheeler Peak . . . . . . . . . . Sept. 6–12 . . . . . BHS–1–106 . 4 . Ram
Units 53(b) and 55 Latir Mountains . . . . . . . .Aug. 9–15 . . . . . BHS–1–109 . 4 . Ram
Units 53(b) and 55 Latir Mountains . . . . . . . Aug. 30–Sept. 5 . . . BHS–1–110 . 11 . Ewe
Units 53(b) and 55 Latir Mountains - Youth Only. . Aug. 30–Sept. 5 . . . BHS–1–111 . 1 . Ewe
(a) Unit 53 portion south of N.M. Hwy. 38 only.
(b) Unit 53 portion north of N.M. Hwy. 38 only.
Desert bighorn sheep _____________________________________________________
Unit 27 Peloncillo Mountains. . . . . . . . . .Nov. 1–30 . . . . . BHS–1–100 2 . . Ram
Unit 26 Hatchet Mountains . . . . . . . . . .Oct. 1–15 . . . . . BHS–1–114 3 . . Ram
Unit 26 Hatchet Mountains . . . . . . . . . .Oct. 16–31. . . . . BHS–1–115 3 . . Ram
Unit 19 White Sands Missile Range(1) . . . . . . .Dec. 14–Jan. 1, '15. . BHS–1–116 2 . . Ram
Unit 20 Caballo Mountains . . . . . . . . . .Nov. 16–30. . . . . BHS–1–118 1 . . Ram
Unit 20 Caballo Mountains . . . . . . . . . .Dec. 1–15 . . . . . BHS–1–119 1 . . Ram
Unit 20 Fra Cristobal Mountains(2) . . . . . . . .Oct. 1–15 . . . . . BHS–1–120 2 . . Ram
Unit 20 Fra Cristobal Mountains
- Youth Only(2). . .Oct. 31–Nov. 14. . . BHS–1–122 1 . . Ram
Unit 13 Ladron Mountains . . . . . . . . . .Dec. 1–31 . . . . . BHS–1–123 1 . . Ram

Yeah - how are you going to get 6% of 1 tag? Or 2 tags? If they do it based on the 6% rule by unit there will be no tags available for nonresidents at all.

Maybe they will limit it to 6% of the total sheep tags like some other states do (except they limit it to 10% of total). Looks like it is going to be best case scenario 1 nonresident sheep tag available for DIY nonresidents when this goes into effect.

From this, it looks like there would be only one ram tag available to NR's at best. Unless they happen to include ewes, then best case for NR sheep allocations is a total of two tags. If they break RM and Desert sheep apart, there may be no tags available to NR as I almost sure it is a round-down scenario.

I'm also not one to complain often as a NR who applies to a lot of states, but if New Mexico Residents continue to ignore the real problem, they can kiss my ass when it comes to applying there again.

I dont mind paying higher fees, being limited to 10-20% of tags, and playing point games...but this is really too much for me.

New Mexico is a neat state with some great wildlife, but they piss on NR's heavy and cater to landowners, outfitters, and those with deep pockets.

Until NM changes, I'll never apply there again.

I'm also not one to complain often as a NR who applies to a lot of states, but if New Mexico Residents continue to ignore the real problem, they can kiss my ass when it comes to applying there again.

I dont mind paying higher fees, being limited to 10-20% of tags, and playing point games...but this is really too much for me.

New Mexico is a neat state with some great wildlife, but they piss on NR's heavy and cater to landowners, outfitters, and those with deep pockets.

Couldn't agree more Buzz. I have alot of money invested every year in points and licenses, but 6% odds is wack when there aren't enough tags to generate even more than 1 "possible" tag. Granted, this is not as wack as Wyoming wanting to change their system after having thousands of my dollars in points already, but wack.

Monteman11,

Just so you know, I fought that bill in Wyoming and will continue to fight for NR's in Wyoming. These constant shifting of goal posts is not fair to anyone but a handful of Residents each year as a "best" case.

Its time for Resident hunters of each state to take off the blinders and think about the ramifications that their greed is having on long term applicants and their DIY NR counterparts. Its pretty tough for me to ask for support from NR's of Wyoming on important wildlife issues that happen here, then do nothing when their opportunities are being threatened via Resident greed.

I wont sell out DIY NR hunters to improve my odds as a Resident...wont do it.

I also have a few thousand tied up this year in the draw. I'm not too happy with this decision overall. I'm downright angry that this decision comes after the application deadline.

Ha, I just finished sending them an email that paraphrased those sentiments.

I am pissed. I fronted a good sum of cash for odds that were published. Changing the game now is BS. I want my money back now, not in June after they collect interest on my money for odds that I would not have applied for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back