New Mexico Sabinoso Wilderness Area

RonFnc918

Hey guys! Has anyone ever hiked around this area? Drew a deer tag there and don't know a lot about it. I've done some research but it's always nice to hear from someone who has had their boots on the ground. Thanks

That wilderness was landlocked by private up until last year I believe, beside last year the only people who have been in accesed via private. I want to check it out as well

I was waiting at the gate when Sabinoso opened. It's a spectacular place. I only spent the one day in there and didn't get as far as I wanted. It's a long hike into the heart of the wilderness from the former private ranch. I'd plan on camping in the backcountry.

I saw tons of sign. With only one previous hunting season, there should be some nice mature bucks in the unit. Congrats! I'm jealous of that tag. You may consider buying an OTC bear and barbary sheep tag. I know BBY tags are expensive for NRs but supposedly they're in the Sabinoso. I cannot confirm this. But I can confirm bear are there based on a track (the size of my 12 boot) I found. I always carry a BBY tag in my pocket...just in case. If you have a September or November hunt, definitely consider a turkey tag too.

I was waiting at the gate when Sabinoso opened. It's a spectacular place. I only spent the one day in there and didn't get as far as I wanted. It's a long hike into the heart of the wilderness from the former private ranch. I'd plan on camping in the backcountry.

I saw tons of sign. With only one previous hunting season, there should be some nice mature bucks in the unit. Congrats! I'm jealous of that tag. You may consider buying an OTC bear and barbary sheep tag. I know BBY tags are expensive for NRs but supposedly they're in the Sabinoso. I cannot confirm this. But I can confirm bear are there based on a track (the size of my 12 boot) I found. I always carry a BBY tag in my pocket...just in case. If you have a September or November hunt, definitely consider a turkey tag too.
Thanks for this intel. I put in for Unit 42 for antelope. I'd be curious to know if you think it's good habitat for antelope?

Thanks for this intel. I put in for Unit 42 for antelope. I'd be curious to know if you think it's good habitat for antelope?
There are definitely antelope in 42 but probably not in the Sabinoso. I’d be on the state lands on the plains

Definitely no pronghorn within the canyon or surrounding uplands. Way too much pinon/juniper.

There are definitely antelope in 42 but probably not in the Sabinoso. I’d be on the state lands on the plains
Thanks. That's where I'm starting to look. Seems like there are a few good patches with public road access but wow A LOT of landlocked state land...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back