New Mexico Regs are now online

Reduced application fees for this year. Went from $27 to $20 for NR and changed legal shooting hours to 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after.

I am gonna put in for NM for the first time this year for antelope and deer thanks for posting this Randy I ahve had a hard time finding the regs.

Thanks Fin. Interesting about the reduced app fee. When has a state (or any gov't institution) ever reduced the price of anything????

Thanks Fin. Interesting about the reduced app fee. When has a state (or any gov't institution) ever reduced the price of anything????

Supposedly NM has a law that prohibits the G&F from making a profit on application fees. Since they negotiated a better fee from the credit card merchant company, they are able to reduce the application fees and still end up at a net zero profit/loss.

Yeah, a surprise for sure, but I hope they take my entire fee for elk, deer, antelope, ibex, and oryx. That would be just fine with me. ;)

Help?

I might like to apply for a hunt in NM but have exactly 0 knowledge of where to apply, or really what the regs are telling me. I just read through them but it's all still just a blur. Would one of you folks with (insider) information consider helping me?
I'd probably prefer to apply in an area with big bulls and next to 0 chance of drawing. I prefer to hunt unguided on public land. I'd welcome PM's. I'm not wanting anything but what most would call public knowledge.
Thanks in advance.

I see that they expanded the oryx hunts to 3 days...unless there are militaruy exercises going on. Also, with regards to Oryx the hunts seem later (no August hunts) and there are are only Rhodes & Stallion Range hunts this year.

Last edited:
Oryx success is going down so they curtailed some of the hunts. Friday is now check in with Gilbert and crew to give the hunters full Saturday to hunt without having to be at the gate a O dark 30. You might get a Friday afternoon hunt but I wouldn't count on it.

Nikster, rifle, bow, muzzy???

Look at the weapon type, then the seasons. Hardest to draw will be 15,16's, 17. 34, and 36.
Top level units will be 15, 16's, and 17.
Next will be 34, 36
Colorado type bulls in 51, 52.

No points to worry about.

If you don't draw you can buy a Land Owner authorization that when turned in will return a license to you for the chosen unit and dates.
Unit wide LO authorizations are issued to LO's and are good for the whole unit. In addition you can hunt any ranch that signed up for those unit wide authorizations.
Rifle hunts on LO tags are for any 5 day period within the scope of the season, for the given unit.
Archery LO tags are good for the length of the season, for the given unit. Please note, there are (3), week long seasons for many of the archery units. LO tags for the top end archery hunts will run $4500 plus. Add in the $780 for the license and you're looking at $1000 per day.

I hunt NM every year unless another tag gets in the way. I'm happy to answer any questions.

I'm new to applying for NM, after reading the regs, will someone please confirm I'm understanding this right ? (Page 2)

1. upon application my credit card is charged the application fee, which is not refunded ever.
2. shortly after the application period closes, they charge the full license fee ($3+k for sheep) to the credit card.
3. if unsuccessfull, the full license is refunded.

If correct, is that new this year?
Sheep tag has my name on it!

Last edited:
I'm new to applying for NM, after reading the regs, will someone please confirm I'm understanding this right ? (Page 2)

1. upon application my credit card is charged the application fee, which is not refunded ever.
2. shortly after the application period closes, they charge the full license fee ($3+k for sheep) to the credit card.
3. if unsuccessfull, the full license is refunded.

If correct, is that new this year?
Sheep tag has my name on it!

You are correct with items 1-3.

It was implemented in 2010. This is the second year.

I hope you are correct about the Sheep tag with your name on it.

Thanks Fin. That explains the better odds in 2010. If the finance committee will sign off on it, I'm in for ibex and bighorn.

This fall is going to be real vexxing with all the sheep tags I'm going to draw.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back