New Mexico OTC Fall Bear

lpcoutdoors

Hey folks, I've long been interested in this hunt but wondering if its really worth the time. Yes, of course, all time in the outdoors is wonderful, but time being limited choices have to be made. Any input? Do the hound hunters just overwhelm the hunting or can a water sitting, predator calling, foot hunting person get away from them? Thanks!

TBH the statewide population is 5-6000 for New Mexico......Meanwhile California is 25,000-35,000.

Even Colorado is 16,000. Don't know Wyoming, but I know they are OTC tags.

My point being there are better bear states than NM.

My first-ever bear hunt was in New Mexico. I bought an OTC tag but also used an outfitter and was on private land. The odds for success for a first-timer are higher that way, and there’s no problem with hounds or other hunters.

Can't speak from experience, but from purely the numbers, Maine would be much better choice. Much smaller state, and about 30,000 bears. Of course, Maine is a different style of hunting altogether. (Forget spot and stalk).

In California, isn't HSUS trying to gat a total ban on bear hunting due to "global warming"?

My first-ever bear hunt was in New Mexico. I bought an OTC tag but also used an outfitter and was on private land. The odds for success for a first-timer are higher that way, and there’s no problem with hounds or other hunters.
I kind of assistant guides some bear hunts with an outfitter in NM with hounds, you are right, great hunt! That's actually where I got on to this idea, they hunted on public lands too, said there were lots of bears there. But of course they didn't think they harmed the non hound hunting guys, wondering how the other side experienced that, if they could get far enough in off the roads to avoid the hounds and have some of their own good hunting. Thanks for the replies!

Hey folks, I've long been interested in this hunt but wondering if its really worth the time. Yes, of course, all time in the outdoors is wonderful, but time being limited choices have to be made. Any input? Do the hound hunters just overwhelm the hunting or can a water sitting, predator calling, foot hunting person get away from them? Thanks!
Are you still planning on hunting bear this fall?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rohan7
Back