New Mexico Elk

SCliving Outdoors

Hello everyone,

This is my first post so I really I hope I am doing it correctly. I am an avid outdoorsman from South Carolina. When it comes to hunting and fishing here I know how to do most of it, but when it comes to hunting the west I am pretty green. However, this fall I am finally hunting west. I have been doing an un-godly amount of research (my wife says my middle name should be research) to give myself the best odds I can of being successful. I understand how the different draw systems work in different states. I know what states I am going to apply and I also have an OTC option picked out if I don't draw.

One of the states I'm going to apply is NM. I know I have to front the tag fee and buy the NR license (I plan on checking the box to get the license fee refunded if I don't draw). Here is my question - If I don't draw how long does it take for NM to put the tag(s) fees back onto my card? I am planning on applying in other states and I don't necessarily want to have 5k on my card for 6 months before I get my money back. Obviously if I draw this question is irrelevant.

I am excited to learn from this forum because I know there are a lot of people with vast knowledge of hunting in the west. Hopefully I can contribute some as well.

Thanks for the help.

The last couple years I've had the refund from New Mexico within a couple weeks of the results being posted. I had to pay the total amount to avoid paying interest on my card because I didn't get the refund by the time my next bill was due. Last year my brother in law said he had his refund before his credit card bill was due.

Welcome from NC, and hopefully you won't need to worry about the refund, but when the tag will be in the mail! Good luck!

A few weeks after the drawing. Figure 10weeks from application to refund If you apply close to the closing date.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back