New Mexico Elk - Unit 52

rothy

Drew my first limited draw elk tag and am super pumped at the chance to shoot my first elk. Has anyone drawn unit 52 in the last few years and be willing to point me in the right direction or provide some insight on what I might expect? Initially, I’m looking at the Cruces Basin Wilderness and drew the late archery season (sept 15-24). Thanks!

Welcome and good luck. Stick around and let us know how it went.
Thanks for the inspiration and info on applying for non-resident tags! Let me know if you want to tag along in September for some content :) I'm sure you don't have any plans Sept 15-24 :LOL:

We're hunting in Cruces Basin for first archery, I can try and give you some pointers later after this week. Just send me a DM later so I remember. We already have some leads, but the hunt will definitely give us a better idea of whats happening this year. Would definitely like to help a brother out!

My dad and sister are hunting that unit in October. My buddy out there says he's seen some good bulls around in the last few weeks. I love that area, you should have a good time and see some decent bulls

Drew my first limited draw elk tag and am super pumped at the chance to shoot my first elk. Has anyone drawn unit 52 in the last few years and be willing to point me in the right direction or provide some insight on what I might expect? Initially, I’m looking at the Cruces Basin Wilderness and drew the late archery season (sept 15-24). Thanks!
Rothy how did your hunt go and what did you think of this unit? I’m looking at it for the 2021 season

Haha another one of the many New Mexico units I elk hunted decades ago that I’ve been unable to draw since 2011. I can’t believe it’s been ten years since my last tag. Scored a 330” bull from a lower tier NM unit with my bow that year. Will be trying yet again to return in 2021. Can you believe the odds have ranged from 30% to 50% every one of those ten years yet I’ve still not drawn? BTW - For you too young to remember, before outfitter welfare in the 90’s & 00’s we drew our NM hunts every single year. Odds for my elk unit were 90%. 22% DIY nonresident quota! Definitely the good ole days.

Attachments

• EDF4ABF6-6E28-4F71-AC8E-6A24E1AC583D.jpeg
    EDF4ABF6-6E28-4F71-AC8E-6A24E1AC583D.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Dang, we lost yet another first-time poster, most likely due to a tragic accident. What are the odds so many first-time posters with a tag are encountering untold tragedies?

Rothy, buddy, RIP. You were one of the good ones taken from the forum much too soon.

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Dang, we lost yet another first-time poster, most likely due to a tragic accident. What are the odds so many first-time posters with a tag are encountering untold tragedies?

Rothy, buddy, RIP. You were one of the good ones taken from the forum much too soon.
I’m new here and sure hope the same fate doesn’t await me!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mtbirdandbiggamehunter
Back