Caribou Gear

New Mexico elk unit 34 archery

darrengresham

I’m brand new to elk hunting. This September 15-24th will be my first ever trip. I got really lucky and drew 2nd archery tags for unit 34. I will more than likely be going by myself. Any unit specific tips anyone willing to give me would be great. I’ve been working on my calls for 5 months now and have been doing all my homework on elk hunting. The only part I’m missing is where to go. From what I’ve read there is elk all over that unit. But specifically, are they usually at a certain elevation and if anybody could just point me to a good general area I’d greatly appreciate it

Step 1) Get a map of the Sacramento Ranger District for the Lincoln National Forest.
2) Put the map on the wall.
3) Throw a dart at the map on the wall.
4) Go hunt elk where the dart lands you lucky SOB...
Thanks. Lol. I’ve been on onxmaps constantly looking for good spots. This was my first year ever putting in for any draw and I got elk and mule deer tags. Also my first year ever hunting outside of Texas. It’s intimidating. I just didn’t know if one area in that unit was any better than another.

This /\/\/\/\/\
elk are everywhere you will not have any issue zero issue finding elk. Have fun and welcome to HT. Seriously though don't sweat it you will be all over elk in there.

This /\/\/\/\/\
elk are everywhere you will not have any issue zero issue finding elk. Have fun and welcome to HT. Seriously though don't sweat it you will be all over elk in there.

I appreciate it. Now I just have to figure out my mule deer tags. Both hunts are in september.

This /\/\/\/\/\

I did have one more question I’m getting conflicting answers for. Can I camp anywhere in the national forest or do I have to be in a designated camping area?

Almost all the designated campgrounds were closed when we were there running around late fall. As far as I know you can camp almost anywhere lots of little places to set up a nice camp. I think the regs say within 100 yards of roadway or something you will need to check. But in late Sept the campgrounds may still be open and if you can find a good one you will have more amenities usually.

Follow the good advice above and once you have studied the maps if you have specific questions about the area PM me and I will try to help. I’m not the most experienced hunter but I live in Alamogordo and spend a fair amount of time in the mountains.

Rod

So that's where my tag went! Congrats on the tag, you'll have a blast. I had that tag a few years back and it was amazing. I took my camper and stayed at an RV park by Mayhill that had a shower and laundry room. After the hunt I found out that the Silver campground north of Cloudcroft has a pay-to-use shower. So, if it's still open you can maybe use that if needed. Prior to my hunt I read that you can pick any 5 square mile section in the unit and find elk. My experience is that the guys who posted above and the info I read online was true.

PM me your email address and I'll send you some info.

-Guy

Hunted 34 1st season last year, you will have no problem finding elk. I am very jealous, I wanted to go back this year but landowner tags are just too much.

Unit 34 was my deer hunting unit for years. The elk are expanding lower into traditional deer range. Still some good deer in the unit, but has become primarily and prime elk unit.

To the original OP, you will see elk and hope you meet with success.

A good tag for elk for sure. But be sure to read info in the NM Hunting/Game proc on Unit 34 and CWD. Few cases of CWD have been found there over the years.

I’m brand new to elk hunting. This September 15-24th will be my first ever trip. I got really lucky and drew 2nd archery tags for unit 34. I will more than likely be going by myself. Any unit specific tips anyone willing to give me would be great. I’ve been working on my calls for 5 months now and have been doing all my homework on elk hunting. The only part I’m missing is where to go. From what I’ve read there is elk all over that unit. But specifically, are they usually at a certain elevation and if anybody could just point me to a good general area I’d greatly appreciate it
I hunted in 34 two years ago. Excellent unit. I hunted south of Weed and saw lots of Bulls. Would be glad to give you more information if you need it. Good Luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back