Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

New Mexico coues

Sounds like most of the guys above gave you some pretty good advice. I am a self proclaimed coues-nut having taken probably around 15 of them. they are a blast to hunt. I've never hunted 27 NM but know it can get tricky. Look for areas to backpack in. Also, there is a LOT of illegal activity in the area so stay vigilant. A good friend of mine hunted it several years ago and got a nice buck but said he wouldn't go back.
I'm curious you said your friend would not go back. Was that because of the hunt difficulty or illegal trafficking issues, or other reasons?

Glass open slopes for the first and last 15 minutes of light. Other than that spend your time picking apart the shade. Especially thick North facing slopes. Coues have extremely tight home ranges, often living within a 500 yd radius at all times unless pressured or tutting. They are also more active than mule deer. They will get up out of their beds periodically during the day to feed or stretch before moving into new shade. Does and fawns are easy to find and when you are glassing them up regularly it’s tempting to stay right there thinking a buck is bound to pop up. Don’t give in. My experience has been that outside of the rut bucks are often not in the same places as does. So if you glass a place all day long or f a couple days and are seeing lots of does but no bucks, don’t count on one showing up.

Also, take naps in the shade. This is the best part of coues hunting.

I'm not a coues expert but I do enjoy bow hunting them. Jay Scott says to approach a glassing area like they could shoot back at you. They are wary, specially when you try to get within bow range. Good luck! I looked hard at that unit but decided to hunt AZ instead. Let us know how it goes, and welcome!

I'm not a coues expert but I do enjoy bow hunting them. Jay Scott says to approach a glassing area like they could shoot back at you. They are wary, specially when you try to get within bow range. Good luck! I looked hard at that unit but decided to hunt AZ instead. Let us know how it goes, and welcome!

I have been listing to those podcasts and they are very interesting. I am also reading a coues book and they are truly a interesting deer

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back