Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

New Mexico Bound...Finally

Well the pronghorn wouldn’t cooperate today and we are headed back home with time still left on the clock. We knew we only had 2 days to get it done as Monday is the wife’s bday, and I promised we would be home.

We were back at it before sunrise and were able to spot small herd feeding up over a ridge. Decent sized buck with them so we made a move. Thought we knew where they would end up so we snuck backwards and circled around once they went out of sight. Had about a mile and a half walk to get into position and we could see them heading our way. About that time here comes a truck flying up the backside dirt road. Hopped out and gave them the standard 3 shot salute from about 600 yards off. They were already running before the first shot ever left the gun, they were trying to honk their horn to stop them, lol, but they were gone into private.

That would be the last buck we could find on public land. We spotted an above avg buck bedding down with some does about 300 yards into private. We were able to get into position hoping when he got up from his bed he might move towards us to a windmill. It took about 1.5 hrs but they finally started to move. The 5 doe stood up and came probably 150 yards in front of us, he stood up and turned and went the exact opposite direction deeper into the private land. He didn’t get that big by being stupid I guess.

We hunted hard today covering a lot of miles on foot but couldn’t make it happen. Met a real nice local rancher who said the pronghorn have really been poor since the drought and haven’t been able to recover in his opinion. Even so we had our chances put ourselves in positions to succeed even though we never connected.

Also got to meet 2 different game wardens. Both were extremely professional and very friendly. Neither of them asked to see my mask or quarantine papers, lol

All in all it was an amazing weekend together. We saw elk, deer, turkey, coyotes, pronghorn, and even a rattlesnake. The scenery was phenomenal, our Creator never disappoints when it comes to that. We had some really good conversations and became better hunters and friends, our cooler might be empty, but my heart is full.

23C5B14A-CD53-4A08-8A7A-C7B1464EDAE5.jpeg382D1CBB-71C9-4809-976A-CE6E6BE45304.jpeg5F0C63F3-57EA-43CE-8DB8-A858237C6EE3.jpeg916A10CF-6B36-41AB-A81D-45BA1636C34B.jpegD56D7856-8308-4A95-BD0E-F38DADBD9A5E.jpeg

Well the pronghorn wouldn’t cooperate today and we are headed back home with time still left on the clock. We knew we only had 2 days to get it done as Monday is the wife’s bday, and I promised we would be home.

We were back at it before sunrise and were able to spot small herd feeding up over a ridge. Decent sized buck with them so we made a move. Thought we knew where they would end up so we snuck backwards and circled around once they went out of sight. Had about a mile and a half walk to get into position and we could see them heading our way. About that time here comes a truck flying up the backside dirt road. Hopped out and gave them the standard 3 shot salute from about 600 yards off. They were already running before the first shot ever left the gun, they were trying to honk their horn to stop them, lol, but they were gone into private.

That would be the last buck we could find on public land. We spotted an above avg buck bedding down with some does about 300 yards into private. We were able to get into position hoping when he got up from his bed he might move towards us to a windmill. It took about 1.5 hrs but they finally started to move. The 5 doe stood up and came probably 150 yards in front of us, he stood up and turned and went the exact opposite direction deeper into the private land. He didn’t get that big by being stupid I guess.

We hunted hard today covering a lot of miles on foot but couldn’t make it happen. Met a real nice local rancher who said the pronghorn have really been poor since the drought and haven’t been able to recover in his opinion. Even so we had our chances put ourselves in positions to succeed even though we never connected.

Also got to meet 2 different game wardens. Both were extremely professional and very friendly. Neither of them asked to see my mask or quarantine papers, lol

All in all it was an amazing weekend together. We saw elk, deer, turkey, coyotes, pronghorn, and even a rattlesnake. The scenery was phenomenal, our Creator never disappoints when it comes to that. We had some really good conversations and became better hunters and friends, our cooler might be empty, but my heart is full.

View attachment 150621View attachment 150622View attachment 150623View attachment 150624View attachment 150625
Just killing time, looking through NM hunts and saw this. You might have gone home empty handed but you've got your priorities right where they need to be. What a great experience for your son.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back