NEW SITKA Ambient 75

New Mexico applications

A-con

Just a reminder, New Mexico applications are due in a few weeks. Time to start making decisions. I've been putting in for archery hunts only, but this year I'm going to mix it up and throw in a rifle hunt or two. After looking over last years odds, some of the later rifle hunts have better odds than the early archery.
Who else’s is applying for New Mexico elk ?

No I have not hunted in New Mexico at all.

So if I do decide to buy a landowner permit...I will surely give you a holler ;)

Are there any elk in 6c? The tag is for a mature bull. Muzzleloader season is my best bet.

That's the same hunt my son is putting in for. There are elk here just not near the roads. Last season was tough, so most hunters got pretty discouraged. My son has taken a couple cows with a rifle so now he is pretty committed to get at bull with his muzzleloader. He really wants to bowhunt the rut but being 13 he's going to have to develope some muscle to be able to handle a bow big enough for bull.

--Bill

The tag I am looking at is for 2006 MB Mature Bull Elk Rifle/Muzzleloader landowner authorization voucher for unit 6c in New Mexico. Choose your season dates: Sept 30-Oct 4 for muzzleloader. Or choose one rifle season: Oct 14-18, or Oct 21-25, or Nov 4-8. This is a 6C "UW" unit wide landowner authorization voucher.

The cost is $1700...which is alot cheaper than the guided hunts and not that bad for a guaranteed elk tag.

I'm in here in NM too . I too hunted 6c in 02 I killed a nice 5x5 during the muzzle loader hunt , that was the last year the MZ was for either sex , but both 6c and 6a are good elk units , I also live right here next to em .

That sounds about right for a firearms tag, don't forget the license fee on top of the $1700. Then there's the $5 Habitat Stamp and the new $4 Habitat Management & Access Validation. I suppose next we're going to have the sunnyday tax, rainyday tax and so forth. :)

--Bill

I'm apply for NM mule deer. I've hunted 16B and 36 in previous years. Saw a lot of monster elk in 16, but only a couple of mule deer.

Rocky Dog, it only costs $6 to apply. If you get drawn, elk tags run form $541 to $766 depending on the tag you draw.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MJS4KIDS
Back