Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

New Mexico Antelope on Public Land, where to start?

Mr.Bill

I've never hunted antelope and New Mexico is the closest state to Texas with a reasonable cost. Where do I start? Do I have to pick a unit to apply to? How do I find out where they are and which would be better. I'd like to do this on public land at a reasonable cost rather that pay thru the nose for private land access. Any suggestions?

Note the draw odds are really tough,as in REALLY TOUGH to draw in NM. You may want to look at Colorado or Wyoming. Wyoming applications are due March 15 and they have some easy to draw tags.

You want to hunt bow or rifle?

I'm a traditional bowhunter at heart but I think that for the first time on antelope, I'd better stick with my Ruger 270. Once I've experienced the whole deal then I can plan a bowhunt for the critters. I'm not a horn hunter so I'd settle for a respectable antelope. Any ideas on which area of Wyoming would be best for a start.

I have hunted antelope with a bow once. Had a great hunt but did not get one. For the bow hunts you are left on your own as to where to hunt. You are not assigned a ranch like rifle. The ranchers are not very willing to give you permission to hunt their private propery. If the private landowner has unit wide bow permits they must let public hunters on their land to hunt. If they have ranch only permits their hunters can only hunt deeded private land and no public land.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back