MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

New Mexico 23?

dtrkyman

Anyone with some input here? lot of leftover tags so I guess it is not a desirable unit for mulies. Likely will be hunting Elk in Co. but if not I may try it?

Any info appreciated.

What input are you looking for? It's a decent unit for Mulies if you're looking to just punch a tag. There is always a lot of left over tags because, from what I hear, there are a lot of deer in the area but you'll have a hard time finding a mature buck. I have friends that hunt the unit every year but I've never seen anyone pull anything bigger that a small 3x3. Of course there must be a mature buck or two in there, I've just never seen one pulled out.

There's lots of LO tags because NMDGF issues a metric shit-ton of tags for that unit. Not a bad place at all. You looking to go in Sept or Jan?

Would be in Sept. if I were to go, was not sure if there was a lack of deer ar just not a popular unit

Unit 23

Unit 23 gets hammered due to the rediculous number of tags issued. Anything with any size gets killed pronto. I'm sure there is a mature buck somewhere but I would suggest some serious scouting time. If you are looking for a little fork horn, it might be the place for you. I've been there a few times and won't go back. I think it will only get worse since you can print all the tags you need now. The locals are meat hunters.

Sheff

Back