Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

New Member - Wisconsin

stephenk22

Hey guys,

Ive been listening to Randy's podcast and really appreciate the information I have learned and figured there must be some good info on here.

I started hunting about 5 years ago and have become obsessed. I mainly do waterfowl, turkey and deer.

However, I just started the process of learning about pronghorn hunting out in Wyoming. Hoping to do an "out-of-my-mini-van" DIY hunt in 2016. Having never hunted out west I am excited to learn all I can from you guys.

Heres a pic of me with a gadwall I shot the other day.

2udyhbm.jpg

IMO, Antelope hunting out west is the best way to start out. There are plenty of antelope around (Wyoming) plenty of public land and you can hunt them all day, spot & stalk. While you hunt antelope you can also be getting familiar with the terrain and look for Mulies at the same time, should you decide to hunt deer in the future. I would advise against trying to do both deer & antelope on your first western hunt however. Concentrate on Antelope first. And good luck, Goat hunting is way beyond fun!

IMO, Antelope hunting out west is the best way to start out. There are plenty of antelope around (Wyoming) plenty of public land and you can hunt them all day, spot & stalk. While you hunt antelope you can also be getting familiar with the terrain and look for Mulies at the same time, should you decide to hunt deer in the future. I would advise against trying to do both deer & antelope on your first western hunt however. Concentrate on Antelope first. And good luck, Goat hunting is way beyond fun!

Thats my plan! Hunting mainly thick timber here in Wisconsin I will be totally out of my element, but I figure I could make a trip almost every year and continue to learn. I would eventually like to get out and hunt bigger game out west some day. I figure I can do an antelope hunt for under $800 if I budget pretty tight and camp out on public land.

backsmasher23: I live in the Appleton area. It looks like your in the Hudson area, duck hunting paradise out there I am told!

Welcome aboard. Spent my first 20 some years in Chippewa Falls.

Antelope is a great start to western hunting. No need to get up too early, can productively hunt all day and you will see hundreds everyday with easy tags to get. Well, Wyoming anyway.

Great advise, welcome aboard.

Thats my plan! Hunting mainly thick timber here in Wisconsin I will be totally out of my element, but I figure I could make a trip almost every year and continue to learn. I would eventually like to get out and hunt bigger game out west some day. I figure I can do an antelope hunt for under $800 if I budget pretty tight and camp out on public land.

backsmasher23: I live in the Appleton area. It looks like your in the Hudson area, duck hunting paradise out there I am told!

My daughter lives just south of you off Hwy 41 in Lomira, Wisconsin.

My daughter lives just south of you off Hwy 41 in Lomira, Wisconsin.

That isn't far from me at all. I pass Lomira atleast once a week.

Jorgy - That's what I keep hearing, now its down to doing a lot of internet research and drawing a tag with 0 points in a unit that has some public land access. I've been researching Unit 29 lately, looks like I've got 6 months to figure it out before registration closes in WY!

Bobby Dean - Haha, thanks man. Most of my hunting is self taught and when I get the opportunity to finally harvest an animal it is the most rewarding feeling in the world.

Backsmasher23 - My Grandma lives up that way. I haven't gotten a chance to hunt the big water but I might have the opportunity to do an old squaw hunt in the next few weeks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back