New Member from Arkansas

My little brother is in Prairie Grove right now. Feel free to make friends and drag him out west more often. I'm currently trying to do one hunt a year with him out in CO.

What a coincidence, that's where I've lived my whole life. Small world. Great place to live

What are you hunting in Colorado? OTC or draw tags? I've been considering giving Colorado a try since they offer OTC tags, but I get nervous about lots of additional hunters.

I've taken the shotgun approach so far. Easy to draw tags in 3 different units. What ever you do, don't listen to my elk advice. I've only been out here 3 years and I'm basically hiking with my gun when I tell people I'm elk hunting.

A new guy at work, was the cybersecurity director for the State and a rabid elk hunter, he is currently helping me un-train my whitetail mind. I'll let you know how it goes.

What a coincidence, that's where I've lived my whole life. Small world. Great place to live

What are you hunting in Colorado? OTC or draw tags? I've been considering giving Colorado a try since they offer OTC tags, but I get nervous about lots of additional hunters.

I've taken the shotgun approach so far. Easy to draw tags in 3 different units. What ever you do, don't listen to my elk advice. I've only been out here 3 years and I'm basically hiking with my gun when I tell people I'm elk hunting.

A new guy at work, was the cybersecurity director for the State and a rabid elk hunter, he is currently helping me un-train my whitetail mind. I'll let you know how it goes.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes. That's sort of how I was with hunting pronghorn. Just wandering around sometimes because it felt like I was actively hunting instead of sitting in a treestand waiting for a deer to come by like here at home. On my last trip in 2018, I'm pretty sure I was the only idiot out there looking for them as it was below freezing and snowing all week. I took my rifle on several romantic strolls through the hills that led to nothing. The game warden we ran into reiterated that the conditions "weren't ideal", but we couldn't just drive home and come back when the weather got better. Finally ended up filling my doe tag our last morning of hunting.

Whitetail strategies are difficult to un-learn. In my mind I'm looking for habitat, pinch points, edges and food. The game should automatically appear right? Not so much, elk are way too mobile.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes. That's sort of how I was with hunting pronghorn. Just wandering around sometimes because it felt like I was actively hunting instead of sitting in a treestand waiting for a deer to come by like here at home. On my last trip in 2018, I'm pretty sure I was the only idiot out there looking for them as it was below freezing and snowing all week. I took my rifle on several romantic strolls through the hills that led to nothing. The game warden we ran into reiterated that the conditions "weren't ideal", but we couldn't just drive home and come back when the weather got better. Finally ended up filling my doe tag our last morning of hunting.

Hey LittleBill, I'm coming down your way to spend a week near Mountain Home in June. Looking forward to some kayak fishing on Lake Norfork.

Hey LittleBill, I'm coming down your way to spend a week near Mountain Home in June. Looking forward to some kayak fishing on Lake Norfork.

Best of luck dsquaredwi. I've never made it over to Norfork, but I hear the fishing is excellent. I've done some kayak fishing around Beaver Lake for trout and I really enjoyed it. I've never been much of a boat person, so a kayak was a perfect solution for getting out on the water.

Welcome.

Us too on the Antelope.

We’re up between Mountain Home and Harrison tho.

Pronghorn are a ton of fun to pursue. Don't have to wake up and be in the field before dawn and the weather is usually pretty mild...usually. Plus they are mighty delicious!

Welcome aboard, you are located in a beautiful area in northern Arkansas. Arkansas has some great hunting/fishing and good public access. Enjoy your trip out west.

Welcome to HT! Did my undergrad at JBU and masters at U of A in Fayetteville. Arkansas is way underrated as a state. Feel free to ping me with any questions.

welcome from PA!
Welcome aboard, you are located in a beautiful area in northern Arkansas. Arkansas has some great hunting/fishing and good public access. Enjoy your trip out west.

Thanks Pagosa. I'm pretty partial to this area. I always dream of hunting out west, but I'm also pretty lucky in the fact that I can go out and buy 6 deer tags over the counter every fall. Not to mention spending $5 trying to draw a public land elk tag. Plus fishing for trout, walleye, bass, crappie, stripers.....

Welcome to HT! Did my undergrad at JBU and masters at U of A in Fayetteville. Arkansas is way underrated as a state. Feel free to ping me with any questions.

Cheesehead, the University of Arkansas convinced me I needed one of their diplomas too. Just an undergrad though. I also spent a lot of time as a teenager at JBU for basketball camps. You live in Wisconsin now? Or just a Packers fan?

Last edited:
Cheesehead, the University of Arkansas convinced me I needed one of their diplomas too. Just an undergrad though. I also spent a lot of time as a teenager at JBU for basketball camps. You live in Wisconsin now? Or just a Packers fan?
Yeah, moved up here after college and somehow settled down. Cheese, brats, beer culture...decent place to be as well. :)

Welcome from NM! I grew up south of Ft Smith, went to U of A, and have a place in Madison County on the White River that I hunt several times a year. Hope to spend more time there in the coming years. Wooo Pigs!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back