New Member - Billings / Flathead Valley, MT

Welcome!

Despite what was posted above there is still some pretty good Kokanee snagging in NW Montana. I went for the first time this past fall and between two of us, we were able to fill both our limits in about 2 hours without the right kind of tackle or any idea about what we were doing.

View attachment 178504

As an aside, and not directed at you by any means, I was very disappointed in my fellow Montana fishermen. There was a disgusting amount of garbage at each popular snagging location as well as an incredible amount of broke off snagging hooks in the water. Despite the cold and rainy October weather, I decided to go back a couple days later with my wetsuit and mask and try to clean out as much of the underwater garbage and hooks as I safely could. I ended up with over 200 snagging hooks and a full size garbage bag of garbage out of the river, not counting the two bags we filled up with onshore garbage from the previous trip. There were hundreds more hooks and line that I saw while down there, but I didn't feel safe sticking my arm down into holes in the rocks that were filled with a snarl of dozens of hooks and line while free diving.
View attachment 178506
Dang! Nice work with the kokanee! Are you putting them on the smoker? Are they decent table fare, even during the spawn?

I think the confusion stemmed from the fact that I said "Flathead" and not other portions of NW Montana. I'm going to give it a go this fall.

The destroyed fishing access site / popular fishing hole is an all too familiar sight. Thanks for doing your part and for going above and beyond!

Yes, we ended up smoking the majority of them. I was pleasantly surprised at how well they turned out. There was a noticeable difference in texture and color of the flesh between some of the fish, but they all ended up tasting pretty good after being smoked.

Welcome!

Despite what was posted above there is still some pretty good Kokanee snagging in NW Montana. I went for the first time this past fall and between two of us, we were able to fill both our limits in about 2 hours without the right kind of tackle or any idea about what we were doing.

View attachment 178504

As an aside, and not directed at you by any means, I was very disappointed in my fellow Montana fishermen. There was a disgusting amount of garbage at each popular snagging location as well as an incredible amount of broke off snagging hooks in the water. Despite the cold and rainy October weather, I decided to go back a couple days later with my wetsuit and mask and try to clean out as much of the underwater garbage and hooks as I safely could. I ended up with over 200 snagging hooks and a full size garbage bag of garbage out of the river, not counting the two bags we filled up with onshore garbage from the previous trip. There were hundreds more hooks and line that I saw while down there, but I didn't feel safe sticking my arm down into holes in the rocks that were filled with a snarl of dozens of hooks and line while free diving.
View attachment 178506
Which drainage are you fishing. Can't be the Flathead?

Yup, good catch.

Bull Trout: Hungry Horse Reservoir, Lake Koocanusa and part of the South Fork Flathead River are open for a regulated and experimental Bull Trout angling season. When fishing for Bull Trout each angler must have in possession a valid Bull Trout Catch Card for the specific water he/she is fishing. Anglers may select only one of the following areas: A) Lake Koocanusa, or B) Hungry Horse Reservoir and South Fork Flathead River. Swan Lake is open to angling for Bull Trout without a special permit but no harvest is allowed. All other waters are closed to intentional angling for Bull Trout year around.
Interesting. Punch card is a good way to go about it. Personally, I would throw them back. Not that good to eat. Or they weren't back in my day. Though I have heard the shrimp introduction improved palatability of most species. The big bulls were greasy pigs. Smoking was about all we could do with them and had to be careful or the grease would catch fire and burn up the smoker. Been there done that.

Welcome!

View attachment 178504

View attachment 178506
Damn. I could use the lead on those snagging hooks to make bullet's with. I did try snagging a few time's as I remember but preferred using a lure. Looked like a bright red Daredevil. Worked pretty good back then.

Damn starting to miss up there!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back