New Hunter and new to group

Smiles a lot

Hi,
I am a new hunter, late "bloomer" maybe. Never been hunting before but have recently gained the desire to give it a try. To be honest I've been addicted to shows like Naked and Afraid or Alone and have since wanted to try some subsistence type of life style. Growing or harvesting my own meals and being more in touch with reality not all this big city BS and political hog wash going on.
I got a recurve bow and am looking at black powder rifles. I want to try and be as authentic as possible. I'm sure I'll catch a lot of slack for this post as I've found other groups to be quite critical and unfriendly to adult beginners.
I recently moved to CO from Arizona and have been astonished at the amount of wildlife everywhere. If you have any advice on things to try or things to avoid I welcome the feedback. I don't know if I will do any big game hunts this year but am interested in turkey and rabbits. Maybe waterfowl.
Any way, I look forward to reading and learning from this group.

Howdy. No time like the present to start a new hobby. Good idea starting with small game and waterfowl.

Welcome to forum, there’s a good group of guys on here that give good pretty good advice. Just avoid conversations about the NAM, woofs, and Montana politics😉.

Welcome, I am a late starter to hunting as well. I started with archery and it is a bit of an uphill battle. Keep with it

@Smiles a lot

Welcome to HuntTalk.

Get your hunter's safety card, and get to know your weapon(s) well before attempting to use them on some (future) dinner protein.

I hope that every day you go out on an outdoors adventure, you learn about nature, and more importantly, learn about yourself.

Welcome! you’re in for a lifetime of adventure if you stick to it. You might consider a single shot shotgun as a do-it-all weapon while still maintaining the handicap of one shot. Muzzleloaders are great, but i would recommend getting familiar with a shotgun first. muzzleloaders can be finicky, a pain to clean, and a hang fire would be a unwelcome surprise for a new shooter.

Welcome! I can understand taking personal enjoyment using traditional methods/recurve and black powder. However, if you're doing it out of perception of "old" being "pure" then you'd need to go further back to chunking rocks, beating things with sticks, atlatl and such. I like the thought of a recurve and plan on getting a couple with lots of arrows as a bug-out addition, but I'll stick with my compound bow, in-line muzzleloader, and bolt action. Cave men used every advantage they could come up with.

Welcome Smiles. Loads of good information here from knowledgable people. Like anything new in a group setting, the best course is big eyes and ears. Enjoy the site.

I would second getting your hunters safety done, maybe try a little fishing. Getting out there is half the battle

Welcome from SWPA
good luck and just keep after it with a positive attitude and you will be fine. Every day out wondering around our beautiful country is a blessing

Welcome from Southern CO. Never too late to get started, best of luck to ya out there!

I'm an adult onset hunter too! There is a lot to learn, and most of it is covered here in the threads. I usually search whatever I have a question about, and usually find something on point, which of course leads to more questions, and so on, and so on...

Welcome!

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back