New guy

I am hunting this year on FE Warren archery. I am hoping for a nice buck I have been seeing when I make my commissary trips every month. They have some huge bucks thriving on the base. After they give access for scouting I want to go with camera in hand and get some pictures of some that migrate regularly to the north end to feed and water.

I am hunting this year on FE Warren archery. I am hoping for a nice buck I have been seeing when I make my commissary trips every month. They have some huge bucks thriving on the base. After they give access for scouting I want to go with camera in hand and get some pictures of some that migrate regularly to the north end to feed and water.
That's is really an awesome opportunity. I didnt know installations like that would allow hunting AT ALL. good luck to you, sounds like you dont/wont need it😁

I got a youngster from the base that volunteered to show me around and get my critter to the truck as needed. FE Warren first went to allow archery hunting a few years ago because there were too many. So many antelope are on base that in 2010 I believe, they exported around 250 head to Mexico.

Welcome!

I cut my teeth hunting MN iron range bucks. Not quite as extreme as MI, but our camp took a 2 1/2 year old buck maybe once every 5 years. All the rest were spikes. Rifle hunt is during the rut and if you pass on a buck on the move you can count on hearing the retort of your neighbor's rifle within the hour. One year (dumb luck) I shot a 3 1/2 year old deer, scoring 115, and no larger deer has been taken by my group before or since. A bad winter wipes out 1/3 of the population between bitter cold, poor quality browse, and wolves wrecking havoc on yarded up deer. A few years before I stopped hunting there I did finally find a honey hole on public ground where deer get old. Required a 1/2 mile walk shouldering a canoe, a 1 mile paddle, plus two 200 yard slogs through muck and cattails. Of course, the weather has to be warm enough to pull that off, or cold enough to make walking across the ice safe. Even after all that, it was basically not huntable because you can only see 10 yards in any direction. If you could figure out how to hunt it, you could kill a bruiser.

I don't think large scale QDM is the answer in these parts of the country. The culture is fairly well steeped in meat hunting / opportunity hunting, and I doubt will change any time soon. I think the responsible thing to do is to issue antlerless permits/tags in areas where the population gets too high, to avoid habitat degredation and deer dying of starvation and disease. This practice is becoming more common, but I still cringe when I read articles about winter feeding of Northern MI deer to boost the population of next year's spike slaughter.

Anyways, I'm in the Land of the Giants for whitetail hunting now in IA. Have at least seen a 140 class buck while hunting in each of the last 8 years. Best of luck in tagging a true monster whitetail, whether at home or hunting on a NR tag.

Hi everyone, a new guy here - I'm from Michigan which means I dont know what mature deer look like, but I hope to learn one day. I've been hunting for 22 years, mostly here in the dead spike horn capital of the world, but I have also hunted in Colorado, North/South Dakotas and Canada. No surprise here, ALL of my out of state hunts have been stellar in comparison to hunting in Michigan (and I hunt both upper and lower peninsulas). I am trying to draw a Colorado pronghorn tag and a Montana deer tag this year and God willing one of them will come through.

I truly appreciate all of the good information located here and I understand how hard-earned most of this information is. Thank you all for the connection you create for all of the hunters who come here to converse and share.
20181117_182027.jpg
here is an example of a nice PNW Whitetail. Welcome aboard

Back