Yeti GOBOX Collection

"new gun"

NDhunter33

What is your take on the Remington model 770 in the 300WinMag?Does anyone have one and if so what do you think????

Looks like a serviceable entry level rifle. Did you get the camo or plain? Scope included?

Just hope it wont put my shoulder out,heard it kicks pretty good.Would a muzzel break be a good investment?

Only if you want to damage either yours or your hunting partners hearing. If the recoil is too much for you, then put on a better recoil pad. If it's still too much for you, then buy a different caliber that you shoot well and doesn't kick as much. But don't put a muzzle break on it. JMHO.

OK ,I got it.This is all new to me so thanks for the tips.I dont even have the gun yet,so dont know how it shoots.Up to this point I have only hunted with a shot gun,new ground for me.

What I did was invest in a Lee Loader. A simple kit that allows easy reloading as long as you aren't into loading dozens of rounds at a go. For a box or two this works fine and you can find them on ebay for that 300 in the price range of around $20 Load your loads by their initial, lower load instructions and that will give you about a 30-06 recoil. Use lighter bullets, such as the Sierra 125 or any of the 125-135 gn loads and the recoil is milder yet. I always practiced with these low recoil loads and went with full blown loads only when after elk. With a Lee Loader and a primer seater tool it's a piece of cake. I recommend that primer seater with the squeeze handle and the tray for the primers at about the same price as the Lee Loader as it's easy and you get a nice firm seat with a minimum of handling of the primers. Without this tool you tap the shell down onto the primer which sounds risky but isn't however it's not best for accuracy and for primer life.

If you shoot a shotgun, a 300wm won't be much of a challenge. Don't waste the money on a muzzle break, you'll have as much into one as the rifle just about and it isn't needed IMO.

I have read good things about the 130 gr Barnes TSX or TTSX in the .300 mags. If you load them up a little milder, they won;t kick nmore than a .30-06. Or load 'em fast and see how you like them.

Go for the 300 win short mag...ballistics are the same except the short mag uses a 308 action (qicker action and less chance of a jam than the longer 300 win mag cartrige.

The only advantage I know of that the 300 wm has over the 300 wsm is in the 210 grn bullets but most guys never need anything bigger than 180 grn.

Also you can gain a lot of accuracy with a good trigger. (savage's accu trigger or weatherby has an adjustable trigger and both are good buys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back