New gun on the horizon

Absolutely - in the end do your own thing your own way. But if an OP asks questions, one should expect answers/opinions. Sometimes "buying what you want" involves gathering information from others to know what you want. It's like if "?" icons in software just always responded with, "just click something damn it", how does that help the user? This type of reply is right up there with "I thought this was a hunting forum" replies. If the issue bores you why post?
It doesn’t bore me. Questions like this receive many responses that are opinions.

To the OP - Numbers don’t lie. Look at all the data. There is a ton of it. Geek out on it. Break it all down on a spreadsheet. Decide which caliber is best suited for your needs and hunting style. Base your decision on the data. I had to do the same thing a couple years ago and I didnt pick either of these 2 calibers, but my decision shouldn’t have anything to do with yours.

I would buy the RUM.

I can get to 3200(ish) with my 300WinMag...of course I "had" to have Peterson Long brass so I'm starting over once I can get a calm day above 50 degrees.
Same here.
26" barreled X-Bolt in 300 WM shooting 180gr accubonds in front of a max load of IMR7828 got me up to that speed

OP- Another thing to consider is what bullet you prefer to shoot. Lead or lead free? Velocity at 600 should be considered for expansion also.
Factory ammo certainly limits choices but there are also some good companies that will develop and load bullets for you.
Choose whatever rifle YOU want and will be able to practice with a lot.

I can get to 3200(ish) with my 300WinMag...of course I "had" to have Peterson Long brass so I'm starting over once I can get a calm day above 50 degrees.

A properly setup 300Win can push a 215 Berger 3000 also.
Curious to see how you like the Peterson long brass also.

A properly setup 300Win can push a 215 Berger 3000 also.
Curious to see how you like the Peterson long brass also.
I've shot all of maybe 15 so far...not enough experience with it yet. I did measure and weigh a few handfuls and it is extremely consistent. I'm hoping it is as good as or better than Gunwerks/ADG for handling hot rounds.

Question for @mtmuley - what is the SD/ES of your 300 RUM hunting load? I'd suspect these enormous capacity cases are tougher to really reel that in, making them clearly sitting in more in the back seat for real long range accuracy. And with factory ammo, something like that is a total crapshoot, making the original poster's questions pretty easily answered by NOT getting either one.

But having been there, done that, I was also unconvinced before learning more about it.

Too many other things come into play.. How heavy of a rifle, what kind of scope, obviously using a dial if planning to take a 600 yard shot.

I'd honestly suggest a .308 for any hunting for any non-reloader.

@BuckRut Who in their right mind would want to be 5" off anywhere within 200yards?
I'll check my logs when I get home. I've loaded the 200 Accubond Since 2004, so have a ton of experience with it. I agree, most shooters, especially new ones should probably stay away from large cased magnums. But, some can only figure it out by doing. I'm 22 years in and am heavily invested in components. Plus, I am intimately famiar with the rifle and shoot it well. Even if I shelve it for hunting someday, I will always have a big magnum of some kind. As far as long range accuracy, I can only speak from my experiences with the .300. It has been excellent in this rifle, printing my best ever group at 1000 from any rifle. For me for now, it's my goto. mtmuley

Sounds like heaven.

Must be nice to have a range near you instead of an empty field and a cardboard box
There is a range 20 miles from my place,in two directions -- one was built in the early 70's ( ran down a little, till last year they went in and refurbished a bit, built overhead covers and bench rest ) you still have to bring some kind of stand for your targets -- other one was built about 2016 and has a pistol ranger separate from the rifle range, both have stretched chicken wire across the range to hang targets, covered bench rest, sometimes even clothes pins** ________ again the ranges are just 100 yards max,with dirt banks behind the wire ___ our DNR boys take care of both ranges -- take care,Monk

If you are not going to say "silencer" like the guy that invented it, then please do not say "inherently accurate" either. Accuracy is not inherited, and no cartridge is such anyway.
Uh oh. I knew it wouldn’t take long for someone who really does know his crap to say inherently accurate. Should we let Joseph know, or should be assume some cartridges are in fact more inherently accurate than others.

Attachments

• B6CF1DD2-6303-478C-80DE-76421795FE26.jpeg
    B6CF1DD2-6303-478C-80DE-76421795FE26.jpeg
    821.4 KB · Views: 9
  • A7F47F07-0053-436C-9853-30794DD84E6C.jpeg
    A7F47F07-0053-436C-9853-30794DD84E6C.jpeg
    445.4 KB · Views: 9
Lining up a new rifle for next season..I think I’ve got it narrowed down to a 28 Nosler or 300 RUM.

Looking for opinions here good bad or
anywhere in between as I’m not too much of a gun geek myself. What I want out of this next gun is something I can confidently shoot in cross-canyon situations say 600 yards for
Both mule deer and elk. Also of note, I don’t reload.
must have minimum 5/8 inch diameter muzzle threads above .243 caliber if using suppressor. This may dictate carbon fiber barrel, since weight is a issue for hunting.
Error toward larger caliber, more energy, for goal of one shot kills. High BC bullets reduce erosion & wind issues. Don’t go less than a 24-inch barrel, for example, a 20-inch 300 win mag becomes a 30-06.

I have had three 300 RUMs and I still have two (one just became a 30 Nosler). I don’t really need them because I am not a long range hunter, but I just like the cartridge. For some reason, the 28 Nosler has never interested me. So, between the 300 RUM and the 28 Nosler, I would go with the RUM.

I have had three 300 RUMs and I still have two (one just became a 30 Nosler). I don’t really need them because I am not a long range hunter, but I just like the cartridge. For some reason, the 28 Nosler has never interested me. So, between the 300 RUM and the 28 Nosler, I would go with the RUM.
Some of us have to shoot big .30's. mtmuley

The benefits of the 7mm Rem. Mag. include more options in rifles and ammo, more accessible and less expensive ammo, less recoil, a potentially shorter, handier, lighter rifle, and longer barrel life. I have hunted with one for several years and I can attest to its effectiveness both in the harvesting of elk and the practice time at the range. Good luck.

blacksheep

I think either of those two cartridges would work just fine for what you want to do. I do think those two favor the reloader though both in load options and cost. For what you want either 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag would do it just fine with lest cost and a lot more options for loaded ammo. Although right now it's pretty tough finding 300 win mag ammo on the shelf. I've had more luck with 7mm. Food for thought. Good luck.

Back