New Elk Hunter, Where to Start?

I've been reading this thread because I'm in the same boat. Only I'm in Indiana. The information shared here is Great just wanted to take some time and say thanks to the guys who have replied with solid positive info. Its awesome to see guys trying to help.

Agreed, all the info has been extremely helpful. Not a lot of venues do you find people so eager to share tips, tricks, and even secrets. So thanks to all!

White Pines, if you can afford, I'd purchase the GoHunt Insider subscription. It's 150 bucks but with the Randy promo you can get a $50 gift card so really it's like 100. I've been all over the place on that website and have learned a lot from that as well. Breaks down units by success rates, what seasons they're best, what the terrain and vegetation are like, and even where to camp and get access. It's a great tool that I would be so lost without.

Okay, I'll be the one voice for an outfitter. I've hunted 10 years in MT with two different outfitters. I've enjoyed success with both with one on federal land and the other on private ranches. Outfitters can provide access with horses, remote camps and other services that would be very tough to do if your not local. Another consideration is time. Depending on your situation, outfitters can help make the trip efficient. You arrive by plane, a day in 6 days of hunting and a day out; then fly home. The whole trip is efficiently executed so you are spending more valuable vacation time hunting. If you or a buddy has any health conditions, an outfitter can provide peace of mind. I had a buddy with a heart valve condition. You'd never know looking at him, but he is high risk. We used an outfitter to just minimize the stress and had a great time. A good idea for finding an outfitter is by picking the region you want to hunt. Then track down the local conservation officer. Ask him who is reputable and has access to the best areas. Its an easy way for the CO to return the favor to an ethical outfitter. Good luck!

If you apply as a group in new Mexico you have up to 4 chances at drawing. You're name will be pulled from the hat so to speak. Just a matter of when. Once one person in your name is pulled, everyone in the group is. They look at your 1st Choice if that's full they look at 2nd, then 3rd. The one kicker is say you have a group of 4 and 3 tags are left for the unit you want, they look at your next choice as it's "full". I've been told guys that apply solo tend to get some really good tags because a group of 2 can't get that last non resident tag.

Google Earth. Unit map. North facing slopes. Be cordial with the locals. See someone at the local Walmart, gas station, etc. wearing camo and spark up a conversation. Lots of times they're not hunting or are hunting turkey or grouse and know where the animals are at. Be honest, play a little dumb and buy em a case of beer. It works. As stupid as it sounds.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back