New Dog Thoughts

Teej,

My wife and I breed brittanys, my wife has been doing it for 30 yrs. One of my best hunting dogs was a brittany my wife breed, sold to a Field Trial client and returned. The Field Trial client didn't like the close range that Kelly (the brittany) worked, but she worked great for my hunting needs. Kelly loved pheasants, quail and was a surprising good duck dog, out retrieving a few labs I hunted with. You might have the best of both worlds by talking to a few breeders and see if they know of a dog that washed out for someone's strict/high field standards that might fit your needs. Good luck.

Teej,

My wife and I breed brittanys, my wife has been doing it for 30 yrs. One of my best hunting dogs was a brittany my wife breed, sold to a Field Trial client and returned. The Field Trial client didn't like the close range that Kelly (the brittany) worked, but she worked great for my hunting needs. Kelly loved pheasants, quail and was a surprising good duck dog, out retrieving a few labs I hunted with. You might have the best of both worlds by talking to a few breeders and see if they know of a dog that washed out for someone's strict/high field standards that might fit your needs. Good luck.

That's a good thought.

My wife brought that up, she said what if there's a dog that doesn't meet the standards and is returned. I wasn't sure how expensive those would go for because in her mind she can justify it as a rescue but doesn't want to pay the $1000+ price tag for a started dog.

DD and DK? You may need to elaborate lol
Duetsche Kurtzhaars and drahthaars are essentially the European standard for german shorthaired pointers and German wirehaired pointers. As part of the breed standard at approximately 1 to, they go thru a physical and hunt test to evaluate pointing, retrieving on land and water, and blood tracking. Any dog that fails is stricken from the breed registry. Both dogs are readily available in the US. There is a testing system in place across the country

That's a good thought.

My wife brought that up, she said what if there's a dog that doesn't meet the standards and is returned. I wasn't sure how expensive those would go for because in her mind she can justify it as a rescue but doesn't want to pay the $1000+ price tag for a started dog.

It really depends on the breeder. Some breeders will treat returns as "damaged goods" so to speak and are willing to part ways relatively inexpensively. Other breeders see it as a "started dog" and will charge accordingly. Do not overlook some confirmation (show dog) breeders. They can have great field stock in their lines for muscle tone and other features, but a puppy may not be "pretty" enough for the show or be out of show standard in height, nose color, or ear length, but can still have great field instincts.

Wirehaired pointing griffon, 2 year old with eyelid issue that prevents breeder from breeding her. Helena, MT Craigslist. Be worth a shout to them. Needs to go to hunting home.

Unfortunately we're living with my in-laws right now but may reach out in case it's not urgent.

Can you post the link?

Only thing about a rescue bird dog would being sure it was pure bred. Pure bred and probably would work out. Knew a guy many years ago got a shorthair from the pound and somehow got a hold of the paper's. Coming from the pound, it was nutered. He called her Nubie and started field trialing her. He won everything in sight. In fact the last few time's I watched Nubie run, she was handled by his young daughter. Talking AKC horseback trial's. Give it a shot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back