New Colorado Season Dates?

I don't think it will really matter in terms of crowding. The quotas will be filled either way the seasons are arranged. Just lots of people wanting to hunt Colorado and so it gets crowded. Only way to change that is to sell fewer licenses and that aint gonna happen.

I don't think it will really matter in terms of crowding. The quotas will be filled either way the seasons are arranged. Just lots of people wanting to hunt Colorado and so it gets crowded. Only way to change that is to sell fewer licenses and that aint gonna happen.

Huh? Bambi and I are talking about Deer, maybe you are thinking elk?

What were saying is that say the goal for a DAU is to kill 1000 bucks... because the dates increase efficacy of any individual hunter there will be less tags sold, ie quota, so for instance lets say that unit had 2000 tags, next year there will only be 1750 tags, because the change in dates improved harvest success rates. So yes, moving the dates later in the year means fewer license sold.

This is exactly what the commissioners discussed at the La Junta meeting and said they would do.

What are the crowds like for 2nd season now? I've only hunted it a couple times for deer and I didn't see many people.

I would seriously think hard about going 2nd over 3rd now, and maybe thats the idea? Get people to burn points on 2nd season over 3rd and lower point creep on the later hunts? Seems like it would increase point creep for 2nd season though? A lot to like for the new dates, and things to not like about them. I think the first few years will be good, but a few years of cropping off the big dumb rutters will make finding big deer tougher for sure. I really don't see any upside to this change long-term, nor do I think reducing opportunity to increase efficacy to keep the same(ish) harvest rates.

I think most residents hunt on an average of about 4 days, that will suck not having 2 weekends in 3rd, and maybe that's why people would switch to 2nd? I would take a whole week off to go either way, but its pretty stupid to screw residents out of opportunity.

What are the crowds like for 2nd season now? I've only hunted it a couple times for deer and I didn't see many people.

I would seriously think hard about going 2nd over 3rd now, and maybe thats the idea? Get people to burn points on 2nd season over 3rd and lower point creep on the later hunts? Seems like it would increase point creep for 2nd season though? A lot to like for the new dates, and things to not like about them. I think the first few years will be good, but a few years of cropping off the big dumb rutters will make finding big deer tougher for sure. I really don't see any upside to this change long-term, nor do I think reducing opportunity to increase efficacy to keep the same(ish) harvest rates.

I think most residents hunt on an average of about 4 days, that will suck not having 2 weekends in 3rd, and maybe that's why people would switch to 2nd? I would take a whole week off to go either way, but its pretty stupid to screw residents out of opportunity.

I think net - net quality will likely remain the same but I think we are definitely going to be sacrificing opportunity for better deer hunts.

I'm seriously thinking about 3rd season for deer now. Nobody will want to hunt it because it's 7 days. Then again it's getting closer to the rut. I never shot a rutting buck that was tasty.

Lots of time to think about it.

I'm seriously thinking about 3rd season for deer now. Nobody will want to hunt it because it's 7 days. Then again it's getting closer to the rut. I never shot a rutting buck that was tasty.

Lots of time to think about it.

You real think that going from 9 to 7 will make that many people not want to hunt it? I disagree because 3rd season will basically be the old 4th season. I don't see 4th season point amounts changing much. I see 3rd increasing dramatically. Who knows about 2nd

Back