New camera.

dustinf

Well, I've been saving my pennies and talking myself into to it for a few months. I wasn't sure which direction to go for a new professional grade video camera. After a few heart to hearts with a close friend(who happens to be a world class film-maker), I decided to go the DSLR path. Canon 5dMark3.

I've been upgrading computer hardware over the past 6 months, and finally took the plunge on a camera.

This means no custom rifles, new bows, or European spotting scopes in my future. Hopefully, I can lay down some serious video this fall. Maybe even put together a web series...

Attachments

• P1050379.JPG
    P1050379.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 564
That is one sweeeet camera, I've dreamed of buying one many times, but life always seems to have another use for the $$. Not to put any pressure on you, but I'll be watching for some great photos on here now. Enjoy it & good shooting!

I bought a 5D when they first came out, it was unbelievable. It was so much fun to work with, way more than I ever needed. I sold it a few years ago and bought a G11 for convenience, but really enjoyed my time with it (5d).

A few of my favorites from it.

Chile
IMG_0162-1.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

Yosemite
IMG_1206.jpg

IMG_1195.jpg

IMG_1182.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

14mm 2.8L
IMG_0885.jpg

IMG_0870.jpg

awesome camera. does pretty much everything well. my wife has one of these as well. looks like ur off to a good start, but if have any questions or need any help, my wife is a photographer by trade so i can probably help

Great camera! What lenses do you have for it?

I've always been a Nikon guy. My current weapon is a D7000.

Congrats on the new gun!

I've had my 20D what seems like forever and want to upgrade, but just can't justify it for now.

Now that you have the body, time to add some L glass.

Now that you have the body, time to add some L glass.

Yeah, so far I just have the kit lense a 24-105mm f1.4 L series with IS, and Zeiss prime 50mm f1.4.

I'm still trying to figure out which zoom lense to get. I'm probably going to rent a few different ones, and see which shoots the best out to 200 yards. The full frame sensor takes awesome shots, but it doesn't increase zoom like the reduced sensor cameras.

Shooting video with the DSLR is complicated. You have to manually focus, and it's something I'm still learning. It's really not ideal for self-filming action shots.

Nice. Out of curiousity, what does that doubler do to your f stop?

I'm no expert, but as I understand it the doubler just changes the focal length. The depth of field, determined by the f stop, remains constant.

I was messing around with it today, and it's not exactly what I expected. I'll take some test shots in a few minutes.

Ok, sorry about the light, it's a grey rainy day here. These are thumbnails, so click on the picture to view full-size.

This first shot is at 400mm with the doubler. The weed(center frame) at the crest of the hill is about 185 yards from where my tripod is set.

This second shot was taken at 400mm without the doubler. Taken from the exact same position as the first.

Very nice. I have the same lens for my 7D. I haven't gotten an extender yet. I have been hesitant because I hear the autofocus doesn't work on the 7D with this lens for 2x and only by tricking it with 1.4x.

Very nice. I have the same lens for my 7D. I haven't gotten an extender yet. I have been hesitant because I hear the autofocus doesn't work on the 7D with this lens for 2x and only by tricking it with 1.4x.

The autofocus doesn't work with this lens on my camera either. There is a brand of 2x doubler that does allow the autofocus to work with Canon cameras, but the name escapes me right now.

I primarily shoot video, so autofocus isn't a priority for me.

Back