PEAX Equipment

New bow sight for next year

wtrfwlhunter

Anybody have suggestions for what sight I should put on my bow?

I picked up archery hunting last year and had a tru-glow three pin sight set at 20-30-40. Hunted a ton for deer and elk, came close to some elk and Ended up shooting a mule deer buck holding on the back at about 50 yds. After having some experience now, I think it’s critical to have a pin at 50. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I shoot a single pin adjustable. I think it goes to 75 yards before it stops. I would never shoot an animal beyond 50.
Agreed, I don’t have any plans to. Just Had multiple situations where I came very close to letting an an arrow fly at elk between 40-50, want to be as prepared as possible next time.

Last edited:
Black gold or spotted hog are good. That Said I'm still using a Copper John that I've had for probably 12 years. That sight is on its third bow. If it ain't broke...

I’ll check those out. I know almost nothing about the equipment side of archery at this point, generally is there any reason I couldn’t add or should avoid adding a pin to my current sight?

I’ll check those out. I know almost nothing about the equipment side of archery at this point, generally is there any reason I couldn’t add or should avoid adding a pin to my current sight?
I don't see why not if you can get one. As long as there's room.

Anybody have suggestions for what sight I should put on my bow?

I picked up archery hunting last year and had a tru-glow three pin sight set at 20-30-40. Hunted a ton for deer and elk, came close to some elk and Ended up shooting a mule deer buck holding on the back at about 50 yds. After having some experience now, I think it’s critical to have a pin at 50. Any suggestions?
I would recommend the Black Gold Sights, I have a Black Gold Ascent Verdict. It is a 3 pin adjustable sight. I have a sight tape from 10-100 yards and it has a small wheel that moves my sight up and down and it coordinates with the sight tape. So once it is all setup I can have 10 20 30 pins and then move the sight down and when the indicator moves to says 40 on the sight tape, it means my pins are now 40 50 60 etc.

If you have too many pins they can tend to blur together in bad sun and also covers a lot of your sight picture covering things you may want to see.

A one pin sight gives you the most clarity and is probably the best for target shooting. But for hunting and certainly spot and stalk, for me, I found I was always uncertain with yardage to use. I was constantly changing it as I go through changing terrain and felt like before a shot I always had to change it. a 3 pin at least gives you breathing room to make a more responsible shot using holdover.

Black Gold is one of the top tier in quality and has all axis adjustments and features and one of the best wheels in the market to adjust the sight up and down. smooth and no locking or unlocking to mess with. Also you can customer order one with your colors and preferred pin diameters.

Last edited:
I would recommend the Black Gold Sights, I have a Black Gold Ascent Verdict. It is a 3 pin adjustable sight. I have a sight tape from 10-100 yards and it has a small wheel that moves my sight up and down and it coordinates with the sight tape. So once it is all setup I can have 10 20 30 pins and then move the sight down and when the indicator moves to says 40 on the sight tape, it means my pins are now 40 50 60 etc.

If you have too many pins they can tend to blur together in bad sun and also covers a lot of your sight picture covering things you may want to see.

A one pin sight gives you the most clarity and is probably the best for target shooting. But for hunting and certainly spot and stalk, for me, I found I was always uncertain with yardage to use. I was constantly changing it as I go through changing terrain and felt like before a shot I always had to change it. a 3 pin at least gives you breathing room to make a more responsible shot using holdover.

Black Gold is one of the top tier in quality and has all axis adjustments and features and one of the best wheels in the market to adjust the sight up and down. smooth and no locking or unlocking to mess with. Also you can customer order one with your colors and preferred pin diameters.
You're mistaken here. You dedicate 1 pin as a floater pin. Typically your bottom pin. Say it's your 40 yard pin. Your indicator will point to 40 on the tape. As you turn it down to say 50, your bottom pin is your only pin that's accurate then. The top 2 don't automatically go to 40 and 30 yards.

The pin gap between those top 2 pins from 20-30 yards is a lot smaller gap than it it was from 60-70 yards. Does that make sense? Once the wheel is turned off of the original sight in spot, your only accurate pin is the floater (depending how you set it up, it's usually your bottom pin.)

Now if you're running a dual indicator on the sight tape, you can set it up so it's showing your top pin which would be your 20 yard pin, and your bottom pin which would be your 40 hard pin, and as you turn the wheel it would give you the yardages based on top and bottom pin locations. I'll find a video for this part.

Last edited:
I prefer HHA sights. I use a single pin and can shoot from 0-40 yards and never have to dial and still hold on the target.

Unless you’re shooting a super slow bow, you should be able to set your top pin at 30 yards. That would give you a 0-30, 40, and 50 pin setup.

You're mistaken here. You dedicate 1 pin as a floater pin. Typically your bottom pin. Say it's your 40 yard pin. Your indicator will point to 40 on the tape. As you turn it down to say 50, your bottom pin is your only pin that's accurate then. The top 2 don't automatically go to 40 and 30 yards.

The pin gap between those top 2 pins from 20-30 yards is a lot smaller gap than it it was from 60-70 yards. Does that make sense? Once the wheel is turned off of the original sight in spot, your only accurate pin is the floater (depending how you set it up, it's usually your bottom pin.)

Now if you're running a dual indicator on the sight tape, you can set it up so it's showing your top pin which would be your 20 yard pin, and your bottom pin which would be your 40 hard pin, and as you turn the wheel it would give you the yardages based on top and bottom pin locations. I'll find a video for this part.

When I spin my wheel to 20, the top pin is 20, the middle pin is 30, and the bottom pin is 40. Simple as that.

When I change it to 50, the top pin is 50, the middle is 60 and the bottom is 70.

That's how it works. That's how it shoots.

When I spin my wheel to 20, the top pin is 20, the middle pin is 30, and the bottom pin is 40. Simple as that.

When I change it to 50, the top pin is 50, the middle is 60 and the bottom is 70.

That's how it works. That's how it shoots.
Interesting. So when you dial to 50 yards, your pin gaps increase on your second and third pins?

An arrow will drop say 2 inches from 20 yards to 30 yards.

The same arrow will drop say 8 inches from 60-70 yards. It's losing velocity and it's not as simple as you think.

To my knowledge, there isn't a multi pin slider on the market that adjusts pin gaps as you dial for a further shot. You might want to do some research and more reading into it. Most importantly shoot to verify.

Interesting. So when you dial to 50 yards, your pin gaps increase on your second and third pins?

An arrow will drop say 2 inches from 20 yards to 30 yards.

The same arrow will drop say 8 inches from 60-70 yards. It's losing velocity and it's not as simple as you think.

To my knowledge, there isn't a multi pin slider on the market that adjusts pin gaps as you dial for a further shot. You might want to do some research and more reading into it. Most importantly shoot to verify.
Do you not think I have shot my bow? I have literally made money off people shooting this bow...I'm no pro staffer but I know how my shit works.

I am simply telling the OP that a multi pin adjustable sight is very beneficial and has the pros of a lot of other styles combined coming from a spot and stalk hunting style.

I am saying I have a 3 pin, and when my indicator says 20, my first pin shoots 20, the 2nd pin shoots 30 and the 3rd pin shoots 40.

I have had this bow for years and sight for most of it. That's the way it works and that's the way it shoots. If I cracked the mysterious bow sight conspiracy theory of the universe then so be it.

Do you not think I have shot my bow? I have literally made money off people shooting this bow...I'm no pro staffer but I know how my shit works.

I am simply telling the OP that a multi pin adjustable sight is very beneficial and has the pros of a lot of other styles combined coming from a spot and stalk hunting style.

I am saying I have a 3 pin, and when my indicator says 20, my first pin shoots 20, the 2nd pin shoots 30 and the 3rd pin shoots 40.

I have had this bow for years and sight for most of it. That's the way it works and that's the way it shoots. If I cracked the mysterious bow sight conspiracy theory of the universe then so be it.
I don't doubt that it's accurate at 20, 30, and 40. If your indicator says 20, you're using your first pin as the floater. You can dial that sight to anything beyond 20, but if that indicator is beyond 20, then the 2 lower aren't at a specific distance. You can't dial the indicator to 30 then magically have the bottom 2 pins turn into 40 and 50. They just don't work that way.

I'm not discounting the use of a multi pin slider. They're the best by far. I'm trying to prevent you from giving the OP the wrong information. It's not some "mysterious bow sight conspiracy theory of the universe", it's common sense in some cases, critical thinking for others. You can literally just think about it and realize that the pins don't just work at any range.

I've shot a multi pin slider for a few years now. The benefit to them is the ability to quickly shoot at something at a closer range. I personally have a 4 pin slider. I can shoot out to 50 yards before adjusting. If I decide to shoot further, I have to dial to that range. The bottom pin in my case becomes the floater. Whatever the dial says is is the distance my bottom pin is set for. If I set it for 70 yards, then my bottom pin is 70 yards. My other pins mean nothing once it's dialed.

@wtrfwlhunter Multi pin sliders are the best sights out there. That being said, please watch a YouTube video and get a good understanding on how they work. A video will usually explain a lot better than the instructions they come with.

I don't doubt that it's accurate at 20, 30, and 40. If your indicator says 20, you're using your first pin as the floater. You can dial that sight to anything beyond 20, but if that indicator is beyond 20, then the 2 lower aren't at a specific distance. You can't dial the indicator to 30 then magically have the bottom 2 pins turn into 40 and 50. They just don't work that way.

I'm not discounting the use of a multi pin slider. They're the best by far. I'm trying to prevent you from giving the OP the wrong information. It's not some "mysterious bow sight conspiracy theory of the universe", it's common sense in some cases, critical thinking for others. You can literally just think about it and realize that the pins don't just work at any range.

I've shot a multi pin slider for a few years now. The benefit to them is the ability to quickly shoot at something at a closer range. I personally have a 4 pin slider. I can shoot out to 50 yards before adjusting. If I decide to shoot further, I have to dial to that range. The bottom pin in my case becomes the floater. Whatever the dial says is is the distance my bottom pin is set for. If I set it for 70 yards, then my bottom pin is 70 yards. My other pins mean nothing once it's dialed.

@wtrfwlhunter Multi pin sliders are the best sights out there. That being said, please watch a YouTube video and get a good understanding on how they work. A video will usually explain a lot better than the instructions they come with.
So basically your saying when I put the red indicator on the sight tape to 20, the first pin shoots 20. But your saying the 2nd pin cannot shoot 30? and the 3rd pin cannot shoot 40? Because that's exactly how mine works.

Seems like you just wanna insult me and argue. Lets not ruin this thread, if you feel the need to continue to make snide remarks, book a flight to Wyoming and let me know, Ill pick you up at the door.

You’re totally missing what he’s saying. Multipin sliders are not meant to be shot like you’re explaining. Your pin gap from 30-40 is not going to be same as the pin gap from 60-70. Thats why you shoot off the bottom pin whenever you move the dial. If it works for you, cool. But that theory won’t work for most people

So basically your saying when I put the red indicator on the sight tape to 20, the first pin shoots 20. But your saying the 2nd pin cannot shoot 30? and the 3rd pin cannot shoot 40? Because that's exactly how mine works.

Seems like you just wanna insult me and argue. Lets not ruin this thread, if you feel the need to continue to make snide remarks, book a flight to Wyoming and let me know, Ill pick you up at the door.

I think he's just trying to explain to you that its better to have your bottom pin as the floating yardage pin. Yet your here telling him to fly to Wyoming for a fight. You sound like a piece of work. Should of sent you to shoot that Chinese spy balloon with your legendary bow shooting skills.

I have a 4 pin black gold. I have the bottom 40yard pin as my floater that goes down to 100 yards with the turn dial on the side. Works pretty good.

You’re totally missing what he’s saying. Multipin sliders are not meant to be shot like you’re explaining. Your pin gap from 30-40 is not going to be same as the pin gap from 60-70. Thats why you shoot off the bottom pin whenever you move the dial. If it works for you, cool. But that theory won’t work for most people
This is literally the point I am making. I am simply saying how the sight operates, after I sighted it in. It shoots accurate, and I did nothing but follow directions and videos.

I dont care if maybe there is a different way, what I am irritated with is when people are telling me what I have been doing for years is literally not possible.

I think he's just trying to explain to you that its better to have your bottom pin as the floating yardage pin. Yet your here telling him to fly to Wyoming for a fight. You sound like a piece of work. Should of sent you to shoot that Chinese spy balloon with your legendary bow shooting skills.

I have a 4 pin black gold. I have the bottom 40yard pin as my floater that goes down to 100 yards with the turn dial on the side. Works pretty good.
Ya my extreme skills of watching YouTube and sighting it in following directions. lol.

Not challenging anyone to a fight I am just saying we dont need snide remarks and trying to insult people when I am literally only saying that is how the sight shoots and works on my bow. I have a 3 pin and when the dial is set to 20, the top pin shoots 20 and the 2nd shoots 30 and the 3rd shoots 40.

I dont know why I have to argue with people telling me that is not how my bow works.

Last edited:
Back