Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

New bow, maybe?

BiggWimm

Hey all- I am just getting started in the game of bowhunting and I was wondering if anyone as heard positives or negatives about a specific bow I am interested in. I went to a local pro shop, Jakes Archery in Orem, Utah, and shot a few brands to see what was most comfortable to me. Incidentally, I felt really comfortable shooting the G5 Quest Primal, or XBP.

I am curious to know if there is any feedback regarding this bow/brand and would love to hear it before I go and spend a crap-load of money.

Thanks for your time!!

Go to a Bass Pro Shop and check into their Red Head line of bows. They have a few bows that rival higher priced 'name brand' bows for half the price, and you can get a package that comes with a quiver and sights and release.

There's nothing wrong the the Quest bows at all.

As a bow hunter, I would suggest not blowing the wad on your first bow. You can get several good bows outfitted and ready to go for around $500. Use that bow for a couple years and get someone to show you proper form and technique and DON'T think you have to be a tough guy and start out with the highest possible draw weight. You won't enjoy shooting the bow if you're sore all the time and shooting inconsistently because of bad technique due to a high draw weight. Start low and work yourself up to what's comfortable and consistent and stay there.

Also, for a first bow, check out something used. You can get good bows for nearly half the price watching classified ads on Archerytalk.com or ebay. If you get one that way, take it to your pro shop and have it checked over and set up to you and tuned up. There's nothing wrong with starting out with a used bow. You may decide that you don't really like it as much as you thought you would, and then you're not stuck with a $1000 paperweight in the closet gathering dust.

Another big thing is arrow selection. Whatever bow you choose and have set up to you and your form and specs, make sure you choose arrows with proper spine stiffness to go along with that bow. An overly stiff or under stiff arrow will shoot erraticly and will cause you fits trying to sight it in.

The biggest thing I can suggest is to just have fun. Shoot alot from different positions. Get involved with an archery league or 3D circuit. The more people you can expose yourself to that shoot, the more help you can get yourself for free. Most shooters are more than happy to help out the 'new guy' and 3D shooting is a great way to experience possible hunting scenerios before you get out in the woods with a living animal in your sights at full draw.

Another shop to try is Salt Lake City Archery in Sugarhouse. It has an indoor range. IIRC, they carried a couple different brands.

Big Wimm,

I'm in the same boat as you--shooting different makes & models on the way to my first bow. John's advice is solid about looking for a less expensive bow and/or looking at used, depending on your budget.

My approach has been a bit different as I'm looking to get a bow that I can "grow into" rather than look to trade up (and shell out another $600-$1200) in a couple of years. I've kinda fallen for the Hoyt TurboHawk myself, which has gotten rave reviews from lots of folks. It's a fairly new bow (came out last July) and I haven't seen any "deals" on it at AT or anywhere else that would make enough sense for me to buy used, so if I decide on the TH, I'm going to have to pay full price.

Best of luck on your bow quest. Hope we both are shooting straight real soon!

do not buy a used bow over the net. you do not know what you will end up with. too many stories about people spending money on bows with cracked limbs, stretched strings, and such. if your budget calls for a used bow, go to a local bow shop. they have already checked it out. any shop worth a darn will not have a bow with problems for sale. as far as the rest of your set up. go to your local wally world and buy your stuff there. cheaper. and will be fine for any beginning shooter/hunter. when you decide you like this way of life, you can then upgrade to the higher priced toys.

check out all the brands and their line ups online. be surprised on how many inexpensive can be had that are new. then, if you see something you like the looks of, find a local shop that has what you are looking for. you might want to go somewhere and have your draw length measured so you know what is in your range.

good luck. and have fun checking them out.

Bigg Wimm, you might consider going to You Tube and checking out some of the reviews from
jason Balazs. He reviews for a site called outdoorproductreview.com. He rates bows on a
10 point basis and the two highest he reviewed last year were the Bowtech Admiral and the Hoyt Maxxis 32. As I recall he was very positive on the Quest bow also. I think the lowest scores I saw were
from the PSE and Bear models. He looks at every aspect of the bow from smoothness of draw to
speed, quietness and vibration. But if you feel comfortable with a bow, that's what matters most.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back