Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

New Addition - Howa 25-06

I have one and really like it. I hear lots of complaints about the Hogue stock; but it's what came on mine. My son has taken 3 whitetails with it. I shoot Hornady Whitetails, 117gr. Here's a 3 shot group in a dime at 100yds.

Attachments

• IMG_1211.JPG
    IMG_1211.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1212.JPG
    IMG_1212.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1159.JPG
    IMG_1159.JPG
    187.3 KB · Views: 8
My little brother has the exact same rifle and it will shoot everything you can feed it fairly well as long as its pushed fast. I think he is currently shooting Barnes TTSX with sub MOA accuracy.
I have the Vanguard version which has a slightly longer barrel I bought last year. I have been less than impressed with the accuracy of mine even with hand loads. I did however get it to shoot the Hornady ELD-X pretty good (under an inch)
However, I don't particularly care to hunt with that bullet due to past experiences having them pretty much blow up and fragment really bad.
Hoping to work up a good load with some 100 grain partitions, 100 grain ballistic tips or 110 grain Accubonds once I take it apart this summer and either float the barrel or replace the stock.

I have one and really like it. I hear lots of complaints about the Hogue stock; but it's what came on mine. My son has taken 3 whitetails with it. I shoot Hornady Whitetails, 117gr. Here's a 3 shot group in a dime at 100yds.
Nice groups! And I love seeing kids kill stuff. He sure looks happy to me.

My son has a vanguard 2 in 25-06. I bought several factory offerings and it liked Hornady Precision Hunters 110 gr best. I just started reloading it and am getting really good results with Sierra 117 and H4831. Good luck

While I don't have a Howa 25-06, I do have a Weatherby Vanguard 25-06 which is basically a Howa. I love the rifle. I have been using Federal Trophy Copper in 100 grain with pretty good success. I have not seen much in that but the local (LV, NV) Sportsmans Warehouse does have a few boxes of other 25-06 ammo.

Enjoy the new rifle!
The SW [Ankeny, IA] near me has lots of 25-06 ammo on the shelf. I have a 25-06 myself, but no need for factory ammo.

Did you happen to see any .270 win ammo there?
Yes, there was plenty of that and the same at another store nearby. Can't use it here. Unfortunately SW has a 2 box limit per cartridge type, but they might relax that for a slow mover.

Yes, there was plenty of that and the same at another store nearby. Can't use it here. Unfortunately SW has a 2 box limit per cartridge type, but they might relax that for a slow mover.
Thx I’ll check it out next time I’m in DM

I’d like to try the Hornady Whitetails in 117 and the Barnes TTSX!
I've shot the factory barnes 100gr TTSX out of mine with good results. I keep bouncing between them and the federal fusion 120s. Killed a good amount of deer with that 120 that didn't take a step.

I've shot the factory barnes 100gr TTSX out of mine with good results. I keep bouncing between them and the federal fusion 120s. Killed a good amount of deer with that 120 that didn't take a step.
I’ll keep that in mind, I can’t remember ever seeing fusions loaded in 25-06 but I’ve had good luck with them in one of my 30-06’s. The ttsx is high on the list once things get back to normal!

I’ll keep that in mind, I can’t remember ever seeing fusions loaded in 25-06 but I’ve had good luck with them in one of my 30-06’s. The ttsx is high on the list once things get back to normal!
Take a look and compare the energy between the two. It's obviously listed by the manufacturer so it will vary from the actual rifle. The 120 shines with the higher BC. The TTSX has gotten it done for me on antelope in the past and a black bear this year too so no complaints there either. Good luck!

Bought my wife the exact same rifle 3 years ago and it is a real good performer. The gun is a little heavy for her to carry around (about 9 lbs.), but shoots lights-out and groups well! I also have shot 3 antelope with it, one shot one kill.

We used factory Federal 100 grain ballistic tips for 2 years and they are devastating. The only issue I had with them is that upon impact they absolutely explode leaving shrapnel everywhere inside, but did indeed kill the deer and antelope DRT.

This year we switched to the 100 grain trophy coppers (Federal), and I like the performance so far. Antelope buck neck shot DRT 200 yards. Her mule deer buck 50 yards through the lungs piled up after 40 yards. Her bull elk was a 220 yard bedded shot, she put it right in the 12 ring through the top of the heart, bull ran about 60 yards downhill and died.

All in all, it is a perfect caliber for her, and I really like it for antelope. Super fast, flat shooting, and accurate.

Oh, I've also killed 2 coyotes with it, a little big for them, the ballistic tips make huge holes when they hit bone and have an exit hole.

I think if you try the 100 grain option you will be pleased, it works well for us.
We use the 85 grain trophy coppers in our savage.243’s with great results. 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards and drops whitetail fast. Have heard they don’t work in slower twist barrels though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back