New Addition - Howa 25-06

TN2shot07

I picked up a new Howa 1500 in 25-06 yesterday and wanted to see if anybody has one? I'd been wanting to give a Howa a try and had been waiting to find one in either 25-06 or 7-08. I lucked up on this one with a clearance sale (didn't know they were even doing those nowadays). I'm curious what factory loads people have had good experience with out of these, especially considering the shorter barrel. Also, if anyone has a lead on said factory ammo, even better. I have two other rifles in this caliber that are lights out with 100 grain partitions but I'd really like to find something in the 115-120 range if possible.

Thanks!
Josh

While I don't have a Howa 25-06, I do have a Weatherby Vanguard 25-06 which is basically a Howa. I love the rifle. I have been using Federal Trophy Copper in 100 grain with pretty good success. I have not seen much in that but the local (LV, NV) Sportsmans Warehouse does have a few boxes of other 25-06 ammo.

Enjoy the new rifle!

While I don't have a Howa 25-06, I do have a Weatherby Vanguard 25-06 which is basically a Howa. I love the rifle. I have been using Federal Trophy Copper in 100 grain with pretty good success. I have not seen much in that but the local (LV, NV) Sportsmans Warehouse does have a few boxes of other 25-06 ammo.

Enjoy the new rifle!
That gives me some hope for copper, I have two boxes of etips (I think essentially the same bullet) that my other rifles didn’t care for.

I have the Vanguard 2 version in a H&S Precision stock shooting 100gn TTSX. It is a lightening bolt on pronghorn. Shoots subMOA with ease. As for 100gn vs 110 gn, the copper bullets give you effective mass of a 10-20% heavier bullet. I hand load but Barnes does have these in factory VORTX ammo.

I have the Vanguard 2 version in a H&S Precision stock shooting 100gn TTSX. It is a lightening bolt on pronghorn. Shoots subMOA with ease. As for 100gn vs 110 gn, the copper bullets give you effective mass of a 10-20% heavier bullet. I hand load but Barnes does have these in factory VORTX ammo.
That was my hope with the etips, just couldn’t get either rifle I had to shoot them. I’ll definitely give them a shot and if they don’t work I can try and track down some of the ttsx too.

I have a Howa 1500 in 6.5 CM ,bell&carlson stock 129 Hornady interlock ,deadly accurate .

The only Howa I have ever shot was for a friend. It was a 25-06 and was a tack driver.

I don't have a Howa, but have a Remington 700 .25-06 and am a sucker for .25-06 threads. I like the 100 grain Barnes Vortx factory ammo. Its lights out on mule deer and antelope. Never used it for elk, but I have no doubt you could with the right shot. From what I hear a lot of the factory .25-06's don't shoot the heavy for caliber ammo all that well. I think it is a twist rate issue. I tried 115 grain partitions out of mine and they didn't group well. Im sure others have had different experiences, however.

I don't have a Howa, but have a Remington 700 .25-06 and am a sucker for .25-06 threads. I like the 100 grain Barnes Vortx factory ammo. Its lights out on mule deer and antelope. Never used it for elk, but I have no doubt you could with the right shot. From what I hear a lot of the factory .25-06's don't shoot the heavy for caliber ammo all that well. I think it is a twist rate issue. I tried 115 grain partitions out of mine and they didn't group well. Im sure others have had different experiences, however.
One of my other 25-06’s is a 700, which also doesn’t like anything heavy. That’s a couple votes on the Barnes, guess I’ll have to try and track some down!

Bought my wife the exact same rifle 3 years ago and it is a real good performer. The gun is a little heavy for her to carry around (about 9 lbs.), but shoots lights-out and groups well! I also have shot 3 antelope with it, one shot one kill.

We used factory Federal 100 grain ballistic tips for 2 years and they are devastating. The only issue I had with them is that upon impact they absolutely explode leaving shrapnel everywhere inside, but did indeed kill the deer and antelope DRT.

This year we switched to the 100 grain trophy coppers (Federal), and I like the performance so far. Antelope buck neck shot DRT 200 yards. Her mule deer buck 50 yards through the lungs piled up after 40 yards. Her bull elk was a 220 yard bedded shot, she put it right in the 12 ring through the top of the heart, bull ran about 60 yards downhill and died.

All in all, it is a perfect caliber for her, and I really like it for antelope. Super fast, flat shooting, and accurate.

Oh, I've also killed 2 coyotes with it, a little big for them, the ballistic tips make huge holes when they hit bone and have an exit hole.

I think if you try the 100 grain option you will be pleased, it works well for us.

That was my hope with the etips, just couldn’t get either rifle I had to shoot them. I’ll definitely give them a shot and if they don’t work I can try and track down some of the ttsx too.
I am not saying I have all the answers but it seems like e-tips are like kimbers - some swear by them, some swear at them. I don't know anybody that has trouble getting TSX/TTSX/LRX or Hammers to shoot in most guns.

I am not saying I have all the answers but it seems like e-tips are like kimbers - some swear by them, some swear at them. I don't know anybody that has trouble getting TSX/TTSX/LRX or Hammers to shoot in most guns.
The swearing at them has been my experience with two rifles so far! I’ll definitely give the Barnes a try next time I find them

I have a 25-06 in the Remington BDL from the 90's it shoots lights out and i shoot the Hornady 117gr SST. My 270 is a Weatherby vanguard/1500 and I shoot the 130 SST in it also.

My 25-06 seems to like pretty much everything I have thrown at it. Thinking pretty seriously at trying the new 90gr absolute hammers in it tho. Would be a laser beam! Little afraid of the damage they may do to fur tho

I picked up a new Howa 1500 in 25-06 yesterday and wanted to see if anybody has one? I'd been wanting to give a Howa a try and had been waiting to find one in either 25-06 or 7-08. I lucked up on this one with a clearance sale (didn't know they were even doing those nowadays). I'm curious what factory loads people have had good experience with out of these, especially considering the shorter barrel. Also, if anyone has a lead on said factory ammo, even better. I have two other rifles in this caliber that are lights out with 100 grain partitions but I'd really like to find something in the 115-120 range if possible.

Thanks!
Josh
Congrats on the new rifle. I don’t own a 25.06 but it sure seems to be a fine caliber based on what I’ve read here and elsewhere. Good luck with it.

My wife's Remington 700 MTN Rifle only had a 22" barrel on it but it did pretty darn good. I used 120 gr. Partitions with IMR4350 and the load chronographed at 3000 fps in her rifle. Killed elk, deer, and antelope with it.

110 gr. Accubonds or 115 or 120 gr. Partitions would all be worth trying.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guy
My wife's Remington 700 MTN Rifle only had a 22" barrel on it but it did pretty darn good. I used 120 gr. Partitions with IMR4350 and the load choreographed at 3000 fps in her rifle. Killed elk, deer, and antelope with it.

110 gr. Accubonds or 115 or 120 gr. Partitions would all be worth trying.
I’ll definitely give those a shot, those partitions have been great out of my other two but only 100 grain!

25-06 Tikka and another using the 100gr ttsx. Before that I was using Hornady 117gr SST that shot just as well. Really liking the copper bullets though!

The swearing at them has been my experience with two rifles so far! I’ll definitely give the Barnes a try next time I find them
If it gives you hope, my old Winchester featherweight hated Barnes bullets and liked E-tips. When I replaced it with a Tikka, I just started off working with the E-tips I had and didn't have much trouble getting them to shoot sub-MOA. I like them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gowest23
Back