New 7mm-08

Red_7.08

Looking for a higher quality semi-light weight hunting rifle in 7mm-08. I’ve been eyeing a Weatherby Mark V Hunter and Tikka T3x Superlite. Looking for opinions on these or something similar.
I’d be open to building something custom. I’ve tinkered with guns my whole life but I’ve never actually built one from scratch. Any recommendation on how to get started? Would I be better off just finding a good gun smith to do it for me?
TIA

I like the Tikka alot, but if I was getting a new one, I'd be budgeting for the new stock (and probably new bottom metal) that I was going to be putting it in. It's still a good deal.

I’m looking at 270’s and those are both on my list, too. I’m leaning weatherby but would like to see one of the hunters in person. No arguing that the Tikkas will shoot and the actions are like glass but all that plastic doesn’t do them any favors for me. Plus I want one of those mark v’s stamped WY!

I’m looking at 270’s and those are both on my list, too. I’m leaning weatherby but would like to see one of the hunters in person. No arguing that the Tikkas will shoot and the actions are like glass but all that plastic doesn’t do them any favors for me. Plus I want one of those mark v’s stamped WY!
Look at a Browning. I'm a Remington guy, but the new Browning .270's are twisted for better bullets. mtmuley

Look at a Browning. I'm a Remington guy, but the new Browning .270's are twisted for better bullets. mtmuley
Thanks, I’ll take a look at the x-bolts too. I somehow ended up with a lemon in 30-06 and it soured me on the brownings but they’re nice! I have 2 in 700’s and that would always be a strong recommendation to anybody but I’m gonna try something new with this one.

If you're comfortable building your own there are lots of options. Defiance and Zermatt, etc. (my preference is Zermatt) make actions you can buy a pre-fit barrel for and skip the gunsmith. Pick your own trigger and stock/chassis, etc and in the end you have YOUR rifle. There are YouTube videos and other sources you can explore to see if you want to take that route. Here's a quick article that might be of interest.

Last edited:
Between those two give me the tikka all day and twice in Sunday. Agreed that the stock isn't the best but my tikka will shoot any ammo I feed her while my wheatherby is extremely picky.

If you're comfortable building your own there are lots of options. Defiance and Zermatt, etc. (my preference is Zermatt) make actions you can buy a pre-fit barrel for and skip the gunsmith. Pick your own trigger and stock/chassis, etc and in the end you have YOUR rifle. There's YouTube videos and other sources you can explore to see if you want to take that route. Here's a quick article that might be of interest.
Thank you for this!!

Looking for a higher quality semi-light weight hunting rifle in 7mm-08. I’ve been eyeing a Weatherby Mark V Hunter and Tikka T3x Superlite. Looking for opinions on these or something similar.
I’d be open to building something custom. I’ve tinkered with guns my whole life but I’ve never actually built one from scratch. Any recommendation on how to get started? Would I be better off just finding a good gun smith to do it for me?
TIA
You'll probably need a gunsmith to stick a barrel on an action (though Savage, I'm told, can take another barrel without gunsmith setting bolt headspace). Pretty much the rest you can do yourself. I'm upgrading my WWII Springfield to quick detach scope and had to switch from Weaver bases to a rail. When it arrived, I discovered the single predrilled forward anchor screw hole in the rail wouldn't work. It was not in line with the existing Weaver tapped hole in receiver but too close to it to allow for either redrilling the rail hole or drilling and tapping another hole in the receiver (which I very much wanted to avoid anyway). So the only option was to drill a new hole through the rail to access the other existing tapped hole for Weaver forward base. It required very precise measurement with a micrometer (cheap plastic variety) and making a jig to hold the rail steady while I drilled the hole and countersink. Using relatively prmitive equipment (I have a Shopsmith but a cheap drill press would do just as well), I made a perfect fit on first attempt (which would have been my only attempt short of buying another rail). Earlier last fall before hunting in Montana I dropped a Timney trigger in the old war horse. That is perhaps the most complicated rifle model for that upgrade but after an all day effort I got it in and working. Most Timney trigger are supposed to drop in without much or any modification. It's an upgrade definitely worth the modest price and effort. After a horse accident I had to restock this rifle back in the 80s using an unfinished "semi-inletted" one that a local gunsmith happened to have on hand. First and only time I've restocked a rifle. Turned out very nice. This past summer I had a new barrel put on the gun. The original military one was done for. A gunsmith had to do that job. New quick detach rings are on their way from Vancouver. An idiot can change rings and scopes. Drilling and tapping holes for scope bases can be done if one has a drill press and both kinds of taps (tapered and blunt). And the patience to build a jig to hold the rifle vertical and in line while drilling the receiver. A gunsmith should be able to do it fairly cheap ... if he's trustworthy. A rear leaf iron sight is on its way from Montana. That will require drilling and tapping a hole in the barrel. Not a job for the faint of heart but again doable with a drill press, ingenuity to build the jig, and patience. No gunsmith left in this neck of the woods so I'm stuck doing it myself. I will start by sticking it on the barrel with double sided tape and spend an afternoon at the range to determine approximate best location, mark the barrel, then drill and tap. The sight is adjustable both ways so exact precision for placement isn't critical. When it's done my Springfield will have the option to instantly switch from scope to iron sights in foul weather or close quarters in heavy brush. Anyway, the point is most of a build project you can do yourself. I would say the only two essential tools needed would be a drill press and Dremel tool (the wood carving extension is worth the additional $$$). Both are extremely useful for a ton of other reasons so they're a good investment that will keep paying for themselves. I see both tools in pawn shops all the time at very reasonable prices. These days there's a ton of available options for ordering gunstocks at fairly reasonable prices complete with very precise and aesthetic computer checkering.

I have a butchered piece of junk 1917 Enfield gathering dust in storage that just today I have convinced myself to turn into a dangerous game rifle. 416 Rigby or maybe 375 H&H. It will require some thinking outside the box but am told it's doable. Won't be a cheap gun when it's finished but it will be MY gun in every respect. And then I'll have a good excuse to shoot more cape buffalo. Yippee!

Go for it! You're no less capable than me.
20220204_185835.jpg20220204_191443.jpg20220204_193909.jpg20211213_130101.jpg

Last edited:
I've been looking for a 7mm-08 also.
I did put money down on a Tikka. But decided to go a different route & got my money back. Well, most of it.

Thanks to @old roper 42 i decided to take the 250 Savage barrel off my Stevens 200 and get another barrel to return it to 7mm-08AI.
I'm looking at a Brux barrel from Bugholes.
Now to finish it at 22", or 24"?

If you're comfortable building your own there are lots of options. Defiance and Zermatt, etc. (my preference is Zermatt) make actions you can buy a pre-fit barrel for and skip the gunsmith. Pick your own trigger and stock/chassis, etc and in the end you have YOUR rifle. There's YouTube videos and other sources you can explore to see if you want to take that route. Here's a quick article that might be of interest.
Thanks for that link. Good stuff.

I've been super happy with my Savage Lightweight Hunter in 7mm-08. Easy enough to throw an aftermarket stock on there if you don't like the tupperware. I think about doing that every now and then, but as yet haven't found an option I like to actually make me pull the proverbial trigger.

Straight up, brass tacks advice, from experience...if your going to go light weight-ish.. insure you have a Good recoil pad a recoil pad ! I've shoot & hunted with a light weight 308 & 7/08 for the past 50 years. You'll feel it on the range after a couple dozen rounds sighting in and that recoil memory will stay with you when that one shot counts ....

Pacific tool and gauge has 7mm-08 custom Remington barreled actions that are stock ready for $1000. Get an AG composites carbon fiber stock and your set. Bed the stock ad your good. Check them out.

blacksheep

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back