Caribou Gear Tarp

Nevada Quotas

MC n NV

Next month the state Wildlife commision will set qoutas for all big game species. I just read NDOW's recomendations. While these are only recommendations, not final decisions, traditionally they are pretty accurate. The big news is, statewide they are planning to increase bull elk tags by 11% and decrease mule deer tags by 17%. The percentages are not across the board and vary by units.
On one hand I guess it doesn't really matter, since the application deadline has already past. On the other, I'm always anxious for any information. You can download the agenda item for yourself if you'd like to look up your species and area.

http://www.ndow.org/Public_Meetings/Commission/Agenda/

Good luck!

Thanks for the heads up. Some areas have some drastic drops in tags while some areas that are already crowded have recommendations for increases? Like MC said, it's very hit or miss on the different areas in the state. Looks like the #1 area for CA bighorn took a big hit. 8 tags to 2, ouch!!

This is the shady part I hate of what is otherwise a very good draw process in Nevada. The deadline was what the 18th? Less than 2 weeks ago....you mean to tell me they did not have this data two weeks ago? Yet they wait, every year, until after everyone has applied and its too late to change draw choices, to announce quotas.

This is the shady part I hate of what is otherwise a very good draw process in Nevada. The deadline was what the 18th? Less than 2 weeks ago....you mean to tell me they did not have this data two weeks ago? Yet they wait, every year, until after everyone has applied and its too late to change draw choices, to announce quotas.

If people saw their choice of areas had a reduction in tags they would just look for an area the had more tags and the odds for that area would just get worse.

Just remember, these are not "announced" yet. These quotas are just the recommendations from NDOW to the State Wildlife Commision. They could change after all the county Advisory Committee's meet and add their 2 cents. The public can attended these and and their comments or questions. Ultimately, the State Commisioner's set the quotas and that meeting is also open to the public with a chance to comment. Having said that, I'm sure NDOW had these numbers 2 weeks ago.

I realize most folks reading this are out of state. I've attended our county advisory committee meetings for a little over a year now in my county. For the most part, there's no one but staff at these things. I'm learning as I go, but there just doesn't seem to be any interest what they do.

As a lifelong Nevada hunter I have found that NDOW usually goes with those recommendations with very few if any changes. For the most part you can bank on those recommendations being used. We need several years of good moisture like this winter to get things turned around.

NDOW has set the quotas and as usual, it looks like they accepted all of the recommendations. I was hoping that with all of the moisture, NDOW might have bumped up some of the deer tags. It should be a helluva year for antler growth! Less than 9 days until we find out the draw results! Come on sheep and bear! Good luck everyone!

NDOW has set the quotas and as usual, it looks like they accepted all of the recommendations. I was hoping that with all of the moisture, NDOW might have bumped up some of the deer tags. It should be a helluva year for antler growth! Less than 9 days until we find out the draw results! Come on sheep and bear! Good luck everyone!

One good winter of moisture is not going to suddenly increase the number of animals. It will take several years of good moisture.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back