Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Nevada elk 76 early

forkhunter

Well, much to my surprise, I drew this tag. Time to start the research..... I never expected to draw with just a few points but I am thrilled to go. I am especially happy my dad will be able to tag along. He is well into his 60s, but does great on foot.
I have done a touch of reading so far, but if anyone is willing to offer any information about what to check out or what to avoid, I would certainly be grateful. Every piece of info helps, general or specific. Thanks!

Congrats on the tag. This episode was filmed there. Lots of elk in that area.

https://youtu.be/UiBQ612jQdI?list=PLLdxutimd-JvhdT98X_D6F9B0s0e0fNlW

Very remote. A long ways from any type of service. Find the most recent burns and set up to glass the PJ hiding cover within a mile or two of those burns. You will see bulls heading into the PJ in the morning and getting on their feet to reverse that path in the late afternoon. After the first day of shooting, you will notice they are well into the PJ by daylight and not out in any burn until after shooting hour ends, which in NV is sunset, not a 1/2 hour after sunset as is the case in many other states.

If time allows, get there three days early, One to set up and the other two to scout. I would have an opening morning plan based on what I find in scouting. I would be there to try kill the bull opening morning. Once the shooting starts and hunting pressure moves them, expect them to change habitats and somewhat change locations. The post-opening day strategy will likely be much different than the opening morning strategy.

Expect to do a ton of glassing and do so from far away. This is one hunt I would never do without a spotting scope. You will get to knobs and glass all day, sometimes as far as 3-4 miles away. And expect a lot more hunting pressure than tag numbers would indicate. In NV, each tag holder often has four or five friends spread around the unit scouring for an elk.

Hope you get one.

Agree with Randy on getting there early and scouting. Since that episode which I believe was 09, NDOW has signifigantly increased the cow tags(road traffic is crazy)2 seasons worth, right before your hunt. Plus the archery and muzzleloader hunt. The pressure has already arrived before opening morning....

Thanks for the responses. I am set up for glassing so that sounds good. Unfortunately I am unable to get there prior to the season. My work responsibilities are not the most hunting friendly when it comes to vacation in November so I have to work with what I can get. I am certainly not the trophy hunter that some others are, so no entourage for me. I would love to get a big trophy just like everyone else, but I won't stress out about it too much. I have done that before and it took away too much enjoyment from the hunt. Where is the last place to get services when heading out? I will do a quick scouting trip this summer, but I assume the elk will be in different places than they will be for the season? At least I will learn roads and access.

Good luck on your hunt. There are elk scattered throughout the unit often times in places you wouldn't expect. I've hunted that unit a bunch and if you find water (by your hunt there should be tons), cover (mostly juniper), and food (burns are good) there will be elk. Don't overlook places because you'll be surprised to find 30 under a single juniper way out in the sage brush flats.
Hopefully by that time the mature bulls will have broken off from the herds of cows. The cows will run quick and far from all the cow hunters from the earlier seasons.
Good luck on your hunt. I'll be out there the two weeks before bull hunting with my muzzleloader. Oh and two months before for my buck antelope.

That elk unit includes 76, 77, 79, and 81. It's everything east of 93 and north of 80. Unit 81 might be a tough place due to the way they've stacked the depredation hunts starting in august. It's a good unit it just gets tons of pressure but so does every good population of elk in Nevada now days due to social conflicts.

That elk unit includes 76, 77, 79, and 81. It's everything east of 93 and north of 80. Unit 81 might be a tough place due to the way they've stacked the depredation hunts starting in august. It's a good unit it just gets tons of pressure but so does every good population of elk in Nevada now days due to social conflicts.

Greetings Randy and fellow Elk Hunters
My name is Terry Frey Co- Host of Ultimate Outdoors Radio here in Wisconsin. Finally logged on to Randy's Forum. Best TV Show out there, and the DIY is the best. Been meaning to contact Randy for an interview as his views on hunting and conservation makes a lot of sense! But now I am writing about elk in Nevada. My brother drew a tag in 76-77-81 after 18yrs. We have been DIY hunters all our life and have added a few elk to the freezers over the years. We are trying to gather info for a DIY muzzeloader hunt in these units. We are going to do a three week adventure for this hunt. If anyone would like to share info we would greatly appreciate the help!
Good hunting

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back