Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

nervous!!!!

zunielk87020

this will be my first bow hunt. i can call pretty good. ive benn practicing 3 to 4 hours a day but im having difficulty judging my yards. any advice! would sights make it easyer? :confused: also what should i expect during the hunt and how can i overcome elk fever if it hits me and is it possible?

Here is the best advise I can give to get used to judging distance...

Measure out and pace off ten yards...

Figure that out and then start taking walks, look at any thing you want to judge distance to, make a guess and pace it off, see how close you get.

With some practice you will get pretty good at judging distance.

I try to keep it inside of a yard on my guesses out to 35-40 yards...

Remember to judge distance from their legs. They are so much bigger than deer, they will look closer than they really are, and your arrow will go low if you make this mistake. using the legs will put them in a better perspective. This will also take your mind off of the antlers, if it is a bull, you are hunting.
Another thing that will help, is start stump shooting with rubber blunts. Take a walk and pick a target, judge the distance and shoot. If you are hunting in mountain terrain, take some shots uphill and down hill.

If you dont get elk fever every time a elk comes in you need to stop huntting..I love elk huntting with a bow good luck :D

Rangefinder if you can afford one.hump

If you have the option of doing some local 3D shoots that always helps as well. That game is about 75% yardage estimation and 25% shooting. Helped me a lot.

I like the 3-D shoots also go out and get some judo tips and go sagebrush shooting do it as much as possible and it will help with the judging, also prarie dogs helps alot and its fun.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back