Need Utah Elk advice

Badlandcat

Been buying points, have 14 now. Have not really thought about where to go, because you need a lot points to get a tag. Well I am getting enough points now to maybe draw a tag in the next couple years.
My goal is to go on a rifle rut hunt and get a chance at a 360 - 370 class 6 point bull.
Not looking for somebody's spot, just the pro's and con's of the different units.
Also have 14 Desert sheep points, but Elk first.
Thanks

If you want a bull that size as a NR then I think you need more points. There are big bulls in every unit, but units like Boulder, San Juan, Pavant, and SW desert have more of them. I'm not even sure 14pts gets u a Manti or Wasatch tag. However, if I had any tag in the state the first bull over 340 gets shot.

Good luck.

I agree with Stubaby that you are definitely going to need more points, unless you are really lucky. Most residents can't even draw in the good units for a rifle tag with only 14 points. That being said, I am now going to disagree with Stubaby, with respect. I personally would wait for that 360 bull. I firmly believe that a 360 bull can be shot out of any unit, especially with the rifle. Of course, that depends on the water available throughout the growing period. In a lot of areas that I hunted this year, I saw bulls with great fronts and weaker backs. This was due to a wet spring and really dry summer.

As for what unit, that I can't say. Depends on your physical abilities, how you want to hunt, and how far you want to pack elk. I would say go year by year. Find the draw statistics and decide from there how quickly you want to draw. For example, two years an acquaintance of mine guided to a 408" bull in the book cliffs. This year, there wasn't a bull to be found over 370".

Don't know if that helps, but good luck!

I saw two 370" bulls in the Wasatch unit last year. You should be able to draw the rifle tag with 14 points. This area would require you to pack in. I'm not even sure you could get horses back to this spot. Anyways if you draw the tag I don't mid sharing the location because I am still about ten years out. My buddy and I actually saw 34 bulls in one day with cow tags in our pockets.

utah elk

I agree to switch to a muzzle loader. Odds become better and with 14 good chances. The real trick is to scout a lot, be prepared, find the spot that you can hunt. If you don't get a tag go anyway and pre-hunt. good luck

I would say look at a muzzleloader hunt, the elk are still heavy in the rut. Also look at areas that have more than one non resident tag. With 14 points you would increase your chances, had a guy from Michigan draw with only 3 points. If your planning a DIY hunt a 360 to 370 bull may be difficult in any unit.

I got extremely luck in 2010 and drew San Juan early rifle with 6 points. Shot a beautiful 360 bull. It was the absolute best hunt i have ever been on. I would go for san juan tag again if i had 14 points. Not sure how many it takes to draw for sure but i would ride it out. The san juan is unreal during the rut.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back