PEAX Equipment

Need to learn coyote hunting

Savage Hunter

I live in Idaho, and don't know what to do for coyotes. I have talked with some people about it and everybody tells me something different about what I should do. Unfortunately I am more of a visual learner and want somebody to show me. When that subject comes up nobody wants to show me in few they will lose thier secret spot or whatever. Is there anybody that is willing to take somebody out with them?

I live in Idaho, and don't know what to do for coyotes. I have talked with some people about it and everybody tells me something different about what I should do. Unfortunately I am more of a visual learner and want somebody to show me. When that subject comes up nobody wants to show me in few they will lose thier secret spot or whatever. Is there anybody that is willing to take somebody out with them?

you would be better off posting this at predatormasters.com Their forums are very active.

Not too many predator hunters on hunttalk.

I'll put in a plug for predator masters. I'm in the same boat, and that page is full of guys willing to throw advice out there.

YAh.. It's full of Predator hunters. Most are Dusche bags on the forums.......... Just sayin'.

I think their necks are the color of scarlet, closer to severe sunburn. I think most of them are still stocking up on ammo. "Cmiddleton" is their leader.

My advice is hunt where there are lots of coyotes that dont get hunted much. If they've been called in and shot at its almost impossible to fool them again....for 6 or 8 months anyway. 99% of the people hunting coyotes have no idea how intelligent they are. Give them more respect than anything else you've ever hunted.

The Owyhee's have great hunting. Also head toward Mtn. Home and head south. Pleanty of Yotes in that direction. Are you looknig for pelts ? or just want to lay the hammer down on them ?

Coyote's were the first animal I hunted. I had no idea how to hunt them and no one to teach me. I Put some camo on, got a call, kept my vehicle out of sight, the wind in my face, minimal movement and kept quite (human quite). Nothing came in on the first 3 stands, but on the fourth I had a coyote come in and I had bagged my first coyote. There are times that you have 8 stands and not have a single coyote come in...but if you keep at it you will call one in and you will get better and you will have more success. I have gone out with beginners and I will do the first couple of stands and then let them do the third so they know how to sound on the call. I sit there practically laughing because the calling sounds so bad...but danged if a coyote did not come in. Probably never heard that sound before and came in to investigate. Everyone will have advice on what works for them and will tell you that you got to do this and do that. But the best advice I can give is just get out there and try it. Even if you are not calling in coyote's on each stand there are alot of animals that will come in to investigate which keeps it from being boring. If you call in areas that have lions watch your back. Good Luck and have fun

I will not say I'm the greatest dog hunter around but I do pretty good. Every thing I know came from experience. About 5 years ago I decided I wanted to clear out a few coyotes off the family farm. I went to Cabela's and bought a new .22-250 rem 700 and 3-9 scope. I still use that rifle the majority of the time unless I know it will be close quarters, then I will use either a 12 gauge shotgun or my old win 22 mag lever action. No matter what you use the most important thing is to be familiar with it and now it's limits and your own. The last thing I like to see is any animal running off wounded. Calls are another thing. There are many types and tones. I started with an old diaphram turkey call, making sounds similar to a hurt rabbit. I use a remote style electronic caller now for the most part since it has many sounds to choose from and allows me to be at the ready and motionless. I even built my own digital caller from plans off another predator calling forum. Even with 100's of sounds saved on the electronic caller, I still use the old diaphram and reed type calls a lot if the coyotes are pressured much. Whatever you do, don't give up, keep at it and you will learn from the experience you gain while in the feild. There is one magazine I really like that is all about predator hunting and trapping and they are online also. It is predator xtreme magazine and predatorxtreme.com GOOD LUCK!

A #3 montana dogless trap with a cable stake in a dirt hole set works the best for me.If you want to hunt them just dont get discouraged its not as easy as they make it look on tv.Just go and do it if they dont smell you,see you,or know you are there they will come and investigate if they hear the call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
See65
Back