Need input, Marlin 336

Thoughts on project (will be sold after completed)

• New wood

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Remove scope

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Add Skinner Sight

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Rechamber

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Convert from barrel band

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Full overhaul

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Octagon/ half octagon

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Leave As is

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters

p_ham

So I picked this rifle up as a possible project gun. It's a Marlin 336CS in 30-30. Serial comes up as 1984 (I think).
Overall it's in nice shape, bluing looks good except for some wear on the muzzle. Stocks are original but have been poorly checkered, lacquered and way over sanded.

So here's the question: i don't INTEND to keep it, what do I do with it?

1: New wood- send it
2: rechamber to 38-55, 30-30AI, 7-30 Waters, 25-35, 219 Zipper...something else
3: complete overhaul- high grade walnut, color case harden/rust blue, New barrel.
4: convert from barrel band to forend endcap (requires barrel)

What say you enablers?

Attachments

• 20220811_212339.jpg
    20220811_212339.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 39
  • 20220811_212347.jpg
    20220811_212347.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 39
  • 20220811_212422.jpg
    20220811_212422.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 39
+1 on 7-30 Waters

But an interesting thought would be .357 Remington Maximum for those states that allow straight wall in shotgun zones. Not sure how much bolt mod would be required?

35 Remington

Strip & refinish the wood, keep the barrel band. 1/2 & 1/2 bbl and skinner sight.

Make it a badass classic Northwoods gun like Marlin intended.
+1

Except I’m keeping it 30-30 if it’s going up for sale. Use the skinner with the option for warnes or Talleys in case somebody wants to scope it

Yes to all, 7-30 Waters
How'd I know you'd say that?
I vote "complete overhaul" and keep us updated on every step. Your work progress is fun to watch and the end products are always beautiful. 30-30AI unless the bore is too rough.
Thank you for the kind words. The bore is in good shape, so the AI is possible.
35 Remington

Strip & refinish the wood, keep the barrel band. 1/2 & 1/2 bbl and skinner sight.

Make it a badass classic Northwoods gun like Marlin intended.
I think it's going to get new wood regardless of what else gets done..unless somebody bought it 'as is'
I've got an old waffle top in 35 that's a lot of fun.

+1 on 7-30 Waters

But an interesting thought would be .357 Remington Maximum for those states that allow straight wall in shotgun zones. Not sure how much bolt mod would be required?
It would require a 35rem bolt, but would make an interesting restricted state gun.

+1

Except I’m keeping it 30-30 if it’s going up for sale. Use the skinner with the option for warnes or Talleys in case somebody wants to scope it
I forgot Skinner makes the combo setup..
30-30 would definitely be the widest available chambering.

You forgot do NOTHING....and just sell it...Why redo a gun that has a history? Not everything in life needs to be "renewed".
That's also an option, added to the poll.
Some folks like vanilla ice cream. Some prefer Cookies n' Cream.

Straight buttstock, beaver tail forend, big loop lever, engrave everything, make it weird
A beaver tail would beg to be put on a 219 Zipper.

If you’re going to keep it, then by all means, rechamber it to something cool that you’ll use. I feel like it should remain a brushy cartridge though. I don’t see the need for a flat shooting cartridge in a lever gun. As for the wood, if you’re gonna use the gun, I’d leave it be. If you’re gonna be Mr Gentle with it, then do as you please. Personally I like guns that someone else cosmetically roughed up a little bit. It makes me feel better about using it without worrying about dents and dings. As long as I’m not rough enough to harm it functionally, then I did no harm. I’m a sucker for a minty old rifle, BUT then I end up worrying so much about it that I have a hard time using it to its full potential.

If you’re gonna sell, I’d either A) sell it for what it is, or B) replace the wood with sole original-ish wood from the same era.

That's also an option, added to the poll.
Some folks like vanilla ice cream. Some prefer Cookies n' Cream.

A beaver tail would beg to be put on a 219 Zipper.
What’s wrong with letting the guy who actually wants to keep the rifle decide?(not saying that you shouldn’t be able to change it if you want). If I was moving into some East woods, I’d probably be looking for a rifle just like that. I’d rather buy it as is and use it as is instead of changing the cartridge or fixing the wood. Where I live, I’d probably change to 7-30 Waters or 30-30AI, just because I like being different.

If you’re going to keep it, then by all means, rechamber it to something cool that you’ll use. I feel like it should remain a brushy cartridge though. I don’t see the need for a flat shooting cartridge in a lever gun. As for the wood, if you’re gonna use the gun, I’d leave it be. If you’re gonna be Mr Gentle with it, then do as you please. Personally I like guns that someone else cosmetically roughed up a little bit. It makes me feel better about using it without worrying about dents and dings. As long as I’m not rough enough to harm it functionally, then I did no harm. I’m a sucker for a minty old rifle, BUT then I end up worrying so much about it that I have a hard time using it to its full potential.

If you’re gonna sell, I’d either A) sell it for what it is, or B) replace the wood with sole original-ish wood from the same era.
What’s wrong with letting the guy who actually wants to keep the rifle decide?(not saying that you shouldn’t be able to change it if you want). If I was moving into some East woods, I’d probably be looking for a rifle just like that. I’d rather buy it as is and use it as is instead of changing the cartridge or fixing the wood. Where I live, I’d probably change to 7-30 Waters or 30-30AI, just because I like being different.
The ideal situation would be somebody says "I want that rifle" or "build me that rifle."

New wood is definitely in order. Case coloring on a 336 would be pretty awesome, or go high gloss blue. 7-30 is really gonna narrow your shoppers though, I'd stay with the 30-30. My .02 which is worth exactly that.

I don't know why the 30-30 gets beat up so much. People around here want something that'll kill out to 800 yrds and so sit in the pines with shots out to 80

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back