Need advice, first trip for elk

dado5

It looks like everything may come together this year for me to go and bowhunt elk. Unfortunately it is too late for me to apply for any tags. I have never elk hunted before. I really want to do it myself but am willing to go guided the first time to try and speed up my learning process. I am in good shape and want to do a backcountry hunt if possible. I know I can get otc tags in colorado but unfortunately I am going by myself (my buddy who was going to go with me can't) and I am not sure my first time out west should be solo.

My main interests are to experience elk. I am not a trophy hunter, would be extremely happy to shoot any legal bull and perhaps even a cow.

my questions are:

Does anybody have any recs for outfitters on private areas where they already have tags or in CO where i buy otc tags?

Should I man up and just throw a pack over my back and hike it into backcountry solo?

really just looking for general guidance right now.

thanks for any help

You would probably be able to get a leftover non-resident elk combo tag for MT too as another option. Remember though that anything you shoot on a solo backcountry hunt you will have to carry all by yourself, getting all the meat out before is spoils is the main limiter of where I go and when.

What's your back country experience? A solo, backpacking backcountry hunt is a great experience -- if you can do it safely. If you don't have plenty of backpacking and backcountry experience -- which forms a knowledge base that allows you to apprise the risk of what you'd be getting yourself into -- I'd put it off until a more experienced buddy could go with me or I'd hire a guide.

There are also plenty of places to hunt elk OTC in CO where you could do day hunts and camp near the road or hotel up.

If you do decide to go solo, rent a satellite phone (good advice Cush) and do your homework. Know the number of the packer who can come get your animal if you knock something down in the deep woods. Be aware of the area search and rescue squads and leave their number with your contacts. Have a daily check in time and keep it, and a plan in place for the folks back home to follow if you don't call. Be prepared for the worst weather of the season and always carry whatever gear you would need to survive a night if you busted a leg.

I will take a different tack. Hire a guide if you can not find a couple of people to hunt with that have hunted elk where you are going to hunt elk. Bow hunting elk in the rut is a fantastic hunt though solo is difficult. You are more effective by having another person cow calling behind you further from the elk than you are. Bulls tend to hang up before get to bow range as they look for the cow. The other caller helps overcome this. Meat spoilage is another issue. If you pack in deep then you will go in heavy if by foot so not only do you need to pack all that out (less food) you also will have 2 or 3 trips with meat and a trip with the antlers and hide if mounting other than Euro.

I strongly advise you use a guide or other hunters to get up the learning curve. Will greatly increase your chance of an ethical shot this year and every year going forward.

MT, NM and CO are options for a guided hunt or getting a tag outside the main draw. Lots of variety in the terrain in those states, timing and length of season and whether you pack in miles or sleep in a hotel/cabin nightly.

Best wishes for a safe and productive hunt!

You can use a packer (guy with horses) to get the meat out if you do go solo. The guy who works the drainages I hunt charges $500 to come get an animal.

thanks for all the replies so far. I have plenty of camping and survival experience, that doesnt worry me, shooting an elk miles back in is certainly a concern. I can afford a guide and can swallow my pride and do it the first time but am having trouble sorting through the internet to find one I can trust. Any first hand recommendations would be welcome.

If i go it alone I imagine I would camp/stay in hotel near roads and make day trips in as far as i could just to learn the ropes and get some experience. Any recommendations on areas to start looking at to do this style of hunt?

Dado5,

I was in your position a few years ago. I wanted to go elk hunting so bad but could not get anyone to commit. I swallowed my pride at went on a full outfitted hunt in Idaho. When looking up outfitters, look for picture's of previous years kills. Then get some references and call them. Get some questions to ask! Go with your gut feeling when selecting a outfit. Some of the outfits will get to the point and want to get off the phone with you like your wasting your time. The guy I selected told me where we would be hunting and what to expect. He was willing to talk with me for and hour on the phone about hunting and I could tell he had the same passion as I did for hunting. I went with my gut and booked with him. I now go back to the same area with my brother and hunt some of the same general area. He is no longer guiding so now I hunt the same area. I was a great investment because now I have my elk honey hole.

Good luck
Bubba

I was in the same situation as you a couple of years ago when I went on a solo DIY hunt in Colorado. It was a great experience and I don't regret doing it at all. But, with that said, if I could have afforded getting an outfitter for the hunt I would have.

Western hunting can have quite a learning curve if you have never done it before. I think the knowledge gained from hunting with an experienced guide is definitely worth the cash, especially for your first time. So, if you have the cash get an outfitter. If not, do as much research as possible and be in the best shape you can be then go for it. Good luck, it's a blast.

You might try the Bugle (RMEF's publication) when looking for outfitters. There are a list of outfitters from each state that support the RMEF in the back of each edition. You can always call and ask for references. Ask about their hunt area too, and get specifics on locations if they'll give them. Then look at a map and see if: (1) they hunt a wilderness area; and (2) how far from any roadways they locate their camp. If you're 5 miles deep or better in a wilderness area, and there are no roads up adjacent drainages, you're probably in a good spot.

Also, ask how many hunters per guide the outfitter uses, and how much experience the guide has. I'd be wary about hunting with more than 2 or 3 other hunters per guide.

Ask how many other hunters will be in camp with you and what the guy's success rate out of his camps are.

Each state's parks and wildlife division probably has a list of preferred outfitters. You might try there too.

Good luck.

All good advice so far. Another great question to ask an outfitter is how far the shots are that normally take place. Many outfitters will boast high success rates but in their minds that means getting a client a shot, not necessarily a good shot. Some guys just cant shoot past 300 yards when they are out of breath or the wind is blowing but an outfitter will still claim this as success. A good outfitter will limit shot distances by getting you closer. Good luck.

You have had some good advice so far. Montana will have tags available through the season. Colorado has many OTC options. Other states have landowner tags available where you could hunt private land. I'd probably recommend hiring an outfitter for the first round. I chose to buy a leftover Wyoming elk tag for my first archery elk hunt and it was a huge waste of time and money. Much better off to get a guide to help or pay to access some private land for the first time to avoid the frustration of archery hunting elk solo in country you have no experience in.

Better yet make a friend on hunt talk and go hunting with them. I've gone on several hunts with people I have met on this site and have always had good luck. In fact I just put in for Kansas last night with a group of hunt talkers.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back