Need a first spotter - Vortex Diamondback 20-60x80 thoughts?

I know a lot of people say buy once, cry once, but not everyone is able to afford the absolute best glass out there. The OP is trying to get the best glass within his budget, being in his 20's even a used Swaro, is going to stretch his budget, when I would assume he is still trying to build up his gear as well. With that said, to spend thousands of dollars behind glass that you may use 10% of the time when hunting is hard to swallow.

I just finished some testing of the Vanguard Endevour 65 and 85, Athlon Ares 65, and the Vortex Razor 65 and 85. I am not going to go into great depth on the technical aspects, but the Athlon Ares beat them all in clarity, light transmission and focal plane. Ahead of testing I would have thought the Razor would have been the best, due to the price being substantially higher. I am keeping the Athlon and have returned the others, for $500 it is an amazing spotter, and it is nice and compact, which makes it very easy to fit into the pack. I run 10x42 and 15x56 Euro glass binos because I use them for 90% of my glassing, and couldn't justify spending top dollar on a spotter I won't use very often.

I know a lot of people say buy once, cry once, but not everyone is able to afford the absolute best glass out there. The OP is trying to get the best glass within his budget, being in his 20's even a used Swaro, is going to stretch his budget, when I would assume he is still trying to build up his gear as well. With that said, to spend thousands of dollars behind glass that you may use 10% of the time when hunting is hard to swallow.

I just finished some testing of the Vanguard Endevour 65 and 85, Athlon Ares 65, and the Vortex Razor 65 and 85. I am not going to go into great depth on the technical aspects, but the Athlon Ares beat them all in clarity, light transmission and focal plane. Ahead of testing I would have thought the Razor would have been the best, due to the price being substantially higher. I am keeping the Athlon and have returned the others, for $500 it is an amazing spotter, and it is nice and compact, which makes it very easy to fit into the pack. I run 10x42 and 15x56 Euro glass binos because I use them for 90% of my glassing, and couldn't justify spending top dollar on a spotter I won't use very often.
Luke,
Great post, sometimes buying the best just isn't an option. My hunting style just doesn't utilize the use of a spotter enough to buy euro level glass, but I also don't want to buy a piece of junk. If my price range can get me a decent scope then I will make the purchase. If not, then I will do without and continue hunting without one. Have you had any experience with the Athlon Ares x45?

Last edited:
Luke,
Great post, sometimes buying the best just isn't an option. My hunting style just doesn't utilize the use of a spotter enough to buy euro level glass, but I also don't want to buy a piece of junk. If my price range can get me a decent scope then I will make the purchase. If not, then I will do without and continue hunting without one. Have you had any experience with the Athlon Ares x45?
I just finished my testing with the above mentioned spotters, and have been spending a fair amount of time behind the Athlon Ares, it is an impressive spotter. I really like the larger eyepiece in comparison to others I have looked through. One thing about the Ares is the focus is done with one dial, there isn't a dedicated fine focus dial, at first I wasn't sure what to think about it, but now I really like it because I'm able to focus on what I am looking at much faster. When I set it on 15X and compare it to my 15x56 MeoptaMeostar binos, which cost 3 times the money, I cant see any difference. There is obviously more light with the Ares, due to the objective lens being 65mm vs 56mm. Athlon's has a no fault warranty, like the others, and for the money I feel a guy is getting a lot of glass for the money.

. Have you had any experience with the Athlon Ares x45?
I have. IMO WAAAAY better buy than the Vortex for less money. I have a couple left if anyone is interested. The Ares like mentioned has a super nice eye piece for the size spotter. And super compact as well.

Last edited:
Save up and buy what you can best afford within your budget, if your looking to keep a spotter, if not buy the best binoculars you can afford. Won’t be dissatisfied

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back