Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Necessary Equipment for Backpack Hunting

$20 says they had wool underwear

And a team of sherpas carrying all their heavy gear. It is a mindset, but quality gear makes it easier to get your mind off the camping aspect and on the hunting aspect, and it just works and lasts better. You don't have to have the best, but no reason not to get as good as you can, heck I have a ton of quality equipment that I've gotten second hand off ebay. And if someone has a hang-up about shelling out for good gear, more power to them for doing it harder...I'm sure they'll get a smiley face on their hand at the end of the hunt...

The fastest way to a miserable time is bad foot gear. Make SURE you have hiking boots that fit and won't blister your heels. This cannot be overstated. And wool socks.

I'm not particularly familiar with SE Wyoming or what the terrain is like, but I'd think the weather could be unpredictable that time of year (might actually be pretty mild). I'd take a bag rated for 0 degrees and just unzip it if you get warm. I also recommend merino wool base layer. That is good stuff.

You should look into a simple, base line Jetboil if you haven't already. That along with Mountain House dehydrated meals have kept me going many mountain miles with a pack on my back.

Speaking of a pack, I'm currently using a Mystery Ranch Metcalf. It pretty well does everything. I've also used an old Cabelas Alaska II. It's basically pretty comfortable with heavy loads, but I wouldn't hunt with that thing on my back. Its a rattle trap and the external aluminum frame is stiff and limits movement. There are lots of great pack options out there these days.

I don't know how much of a hardcore trophy hunter you are, but for me, I really don't use a spotting scope much. Its more weight to pack around and I generally find I can see about all I need with a good pair of 10x binos. But I'm not really that interested in counting the points on a bucks antlers a mile away. That's just me, but I'm usually pretty happy shooting a raghorn.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back