Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Nebraska - Buy Unit or Draw Unit?

TOGIE

I'm having trouble easily finding what I feel like should not be difficult to find information.

How do I determine what units are "buy" units in Nebraska and what units are "draw" units for deer? Mule deer or WT, doesn't matter.

I'm kinda trying to do a combination of e scouting to determine where I may want to hunt, and e scouting of places I would like to hunt, if that makes sense. And knowing if I was e scouting a "buy" or a "draw" area would be helpful. Further such information would help me decide if it is a place I want to hunt depending on the draw situation if it even is a draw area.

Can anyone point me in the proper direction? Or am I totally overlooking this information on the website or the big game pdf where I've been perusing?

Is the only way to go look at draw odds? Cause those aren't really clearing that up for me.

Last edited:
"Buy" units are for doe permits, river antler-less and whatever is left over after the first draws. The first periods are for resident draw, for the most part. If you are hunting bucks, then it can be problematic, unless you know someone, or you go with a guide. There is public land and it produces some good bucks, but it gets hammered, too. It all depends on what you want in a hunt, but it will not beat what Kolorado has to offer. If you want to fill a freezer, then there are lots of late-season options. There are always a few changes, and so you have to wait until the regulations come out, to be able to judge what you want to do.

@sbhooper thanks for that. that makes sense. so "buy" units are doe tags by design? or it just turns out, as a product of capacity/demand, doe tags end up "otc?" needless to say there is essentially no such thing as a "buy" buck tag?

i'm just always looking for opportunity. i've thought several times about making some late season freezer filler runs out there, seems relatively doable on public land. and I am aware of some folks that manage to get out there from CO every now and then and get some bucks on public land. trying to make sense of my options on if i wanted to put buck hunting plans together how I would go about getting one and gettin out there.

so now i'm confused.

when i looked at the draw reports it seemed to indicate to me that there would be quite a few "buy" units for bucks. but there was no explicit information to confirm this for me.

let's just ask this, if i want to hunt a calamus west november firearm buck tag, i can just buy it?

if i want to shoot a doe in calamus west i just buy an antlerless only season choice tag?

is it the statewide tags that tend do go draw?

@TOGIEGOAT Check out page 10. file:///C:/Users/rslu542/Downloads/big-game-guide-2019-web.pdf

Regarding Calamus west. In 2018 you could have bought the any deer tag until they sold out on Nov 5th (Page 22) It's not a draw unit and tags went on sale Aug 5th.

The Calamus West Antlerless Only tags didn't sell out in 2018. You could have bought one and hunted for does - its AOW (antlerless only whitetail)

Pages 22-25 have most of the info you're looking for. The public land gets hit hard and it's not easy to get access on private during rifle season. PM me if you have questions.

The only draw hunts are for MULE DEER in a couple units.
Calamus west sold out in Nov. So yes you can just buy a tag....heck you can buy 2 buck tags.
I do....quite the bargain.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back