NE Nevada Hunter Looking for Whitetail

NV_ARCH3R

I'm out of NE Nevada, decided I want to try for a whitetail in the next few years. Considering travel, deer numbers, access, tags (OTC/permit) What would be some of my best options??

A few options in December and January in Arizona. Its been on my list last few years but have not headed down to get er done. I like the timeframe as it fills in that short gap until Javalina and snow goose season. Still on my list for this coming January!

If you are looking for mountain whitetail, then for OTC value look at Idaho. If you want to hunt big river bottoms you’ll need to look at other options such as MT or WY. Washington isn’t a bad option, but seasons are short and tags expensive.

Depends what you're looking for... Do you want that "midwest treestand" feel or spot n stalk or something in between? Also, rifle or archery? North Dakota and South Dakota have some different options/experiences for you, especially if you're looking at going with the bow. Nevada to the midwest isn't exactly a short trip, but if you're looking for that type of experience, Missouri, Kansas and Oklahoma wouldn't be quite as far.

Depends what you're looking for... Do you want that "midwest treestand" feel or spot n stalk or something in between? Also, rifle or archery? North Dakota and South Dakota have some different options/experiences for you, especially if you're looking at going with the bow. Nevada to the midwest isn't exactly a short trip, but if you're looking for that type of experience, Missouri, Kansas and Oklahoma wouldn't be quite as far.

I would second this North and South Dakota would be on my radar. Maybe fly into Denver and drive up to South Dakota?

Hard to beat Western Kansas for hunting WT on public access due to all the walk in areas and tight management. There is a reason people from surrounding states like Colorado pay $550 for whitetail tags in KS.

For accessing places in SD you could fly into Rapid City or if you are hunting the South side of the Black Hills some use Chadron NE which has flights to Denver daily. There are also a few towns in Western KS which have flights from Denver.

Start sending into Iowa to get points.

If you are going to go after whitetail go big.

I would look at South Dakota. We are just west of you. Hot Springs, South Dakota is about a two day drive with the family. We left on Tuesday at 1 pm and got there the next day at 230. With me, my wife and two girls.

Archery is unlimited. Rifle hunts are hit and miss for odds. Access wasn't a problem. My daughter shot her doe last year two hours after we set up camp. On private property. That was a mule deer. Whitetails are more in the forest where we were.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back