Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

NASCAR : [ I don`t get it]

cjcj

Went to the big nascar race a few miles from my house, Haul ass and then turn left, Haul ass and then turn left again and again, other than cool sounding engines hauling ass and turning left, i just don`t see what all the hubbub is about. After a hour i got bored and went home. Am i missing something?

Sounds like your missing beer, lots of it, and scantily glad wimmens with BIG TaTa's!
wink.gif
Other than that I have little use for it. Though while working at the local dirt track in high school I got to meet Jeff Gordon and give him a COKE! He's a midget of a man.

cjcj,
Yes, you are missing something! In a "Readers Digest" type answer, your running on the edge of loosing it for hundreds of laps, the technology to build a push rod V8 to run at 9000+ rpms for 500 miles, 4 tires and 20 gallons of fuel in less than 14 seconds!!! And that's just a small part of it. -memtb

Boobs and beer, yeehaa, I am all for it. Not really sure why I need to waste my time and watch the cars though.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Isn't NASCAR what those 10-pointer shooters and banjo players watch?haha...Well in beween professional wrestling matches anyway.
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

Man I kill myself.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

ive been told that nascar is a southern redneck tradition. ive been in the south all my life, count the antlers on both sides of my bucks, but i just dont understand the fascination. makes us look like we can only drive left huh.

While i can appreciate the "technology", that is still something i just couldn`t "feel", it reminded me of softball its fun to play but boring to watch, and i would like to drive one of those fast cars i just found it boring to watch them haul ass and turn left. can`t understand why the sport is so big.

cj, here's a thread I posted on this a while back...click here. I'm not much of a gearhead, but the fact that it grates on the nerves of arrogant yankees is all the justification for it I need.
tongue.gif
wink.gif

It certainly has no less entertainment value than watching a bunch of beefcakes slam into each other over a little leather ball, or two heavyweights pound each other to a pulp. Like football, to really appreciate it you have to get into the details behind the race, and the strategy involved. Or so my NASCAR-fan friends tell me.
smile.gif

Sometimes I wonder if there's something wrong with me because I don't like being a sports spectater. I'd much rather be having fun, myself, than watching others have it. I do try to watch the last game of the World Series and I try to be home in time to turn on the Superbowl near the last ten minutes to see if it's a good game. I like to watch the Olympic downhill and slalom because I was a ski racer but, other than that, I don't watch sports. And I wouldn't watch a NASCAR race if it went right past my house.
biggrin.gif

PS, After wondering for awhile if there was something wrong with me I decided I'm normal and everybody else is crazy!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 11-03-2003 22:15: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

Dgibson i raced motorcycles for over 10 yrs. so i`m not "knocking" the racing scene, but i also played football/baseball/ and wrestled, i like watching college football/and the college world series[omaha] but i find watching some sports a "Total" bore, they would be golf[snooze] bowling shoot me please] tennis [take me now lord] now some of these are fun to "play" from time to time, but they just don`t entertain me enough to watch them, so i thought i would go to last sundays race at P.I.R. to see if i was missing something. it was my first and probably my last [i got free tickets] I sometimes have to educate myself in the "human" condition and i had to see firsthand why this "sport" has grown so big, and frankly i still just don`t get it.

People go to races to drink lots of beer. And they also go and play Golf to drink alot of beer. Beimg a Golf Course Superintentdent I see alot of it. Most of these guys just come to get drunk. And I go to the race at Bristol every year and a bunch of drunks it is. That also includes me.
smile.gif

Have to admit that I loved to watch the steelers in the 70's and women wrestle or fish or do about any thing with a bikini on. don

CJ sorry I missed you at the track. I've been a motor head all my life (hence the screen name). You raced, dosen't the smell of racing gas and burning rubber make your heart race, it does mine (or maybe it was the blonde changing shirts in the stands) either way I don't know what it is but it gets in your blood.
When I was young I used to think how great it would be and how lucky those guys (drivers) were. Now after just a few laps in my buddies dirt car I'm so sore I can't move for a week. It realy made me realise how hard it must be. Look at the conditions they drive in. It's like driving in Phoenix in the summer with the windows rolled up and no AC, and lord knows haw many Gs they pull over and over for hours on end. I won't even try to get in to the technology thats required to get 800hp out of 355 cubic inches with just a carbarator (sp).
I've been a diehard Awesome Bill fan since 83, Go 9, he's talking of retiring, I'll probably give it up then too it just won't be the same.
Horsepower is an addiction and since I can no longert afford it I have to live vicariously thru my driver. Sad but true and CJ you needed more beer
tongue.gif

I lost interest in all the major "spectator" sports years ago. The only time I probably will watch any sport is when my boys are involved.

I dont partake in too many intoxicants to be able to withstand Nascar too long. I get enuff of that when Vipe is driving (talk about road rage tsk tsk)

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back