NASCAR at COTA

jabber

NASCAR came to the Circuit of the Americas track in Austin this past weekend. When I heard they would be going there, we made plans to attend as I had never been to a NASCAR race and wanted to do that. We ended up with six of the family going and got tickets in the main grandstand just past where the COTA website showed the finish line at. Well I guess NASCAR and COTA had their wires crossed because the finish line and starting line were in the same place and it wasn't where we were. It ended up being about 200 - 300 yards passed us, which all in all was still not bad. And probably the most important thing about the seats ended up being that they were covered.

We got to watch the second race on Saturday, which Kyle Busch ran away with. Then on Sunday due to some navigational errors on my part, we had to walk about a mile and a half to get to our seats. We got in the grandstands just as the driver introductions was ending, went straight to the lounge area to grab a drink. We had to wait in line for a little bit but there were big screen TVs where we could see the activities. There were probably 100 to 150 people in the lounge and just a constant buzz as everyone was talking. The pre-race prayer came on the TV, no change in the constant noise in the room. Then they started singing the National Anthem and you could have heard a pin drop in the room. Everybody got quiet, removed their hats, hand over the heart and stared at the big screen. Sent chills down my spine, as I was really not expecting that to happen. This was the highlight of the weekend for me.

The race was a bit of a disappointment to me. The track is 3.41 miles in length and we could only see the front straight away and the corners coming into and leaving it. Then throw all the rain into the mix and that made it even worse. I got a couple of pictures from the event.

The group (minus my son who wasn't there yet)

191399039_4293464197354157_7281301716430845460_n.jpg

Xfinity Line up

IMG_2565.JPG

IMG_2564.JPG

Apparently I didn't take any still pictures of Sunday's race but do have some video I will try to load.

The wife and I in the rain after the race.

IMG_2579.JPG

The group in front of the State Capital after a night on 6th Street.

IMG_2610.JPG

The start of the Xfinity Race

And a re-start of the NASCAR race on lap 35 after they changed the re-starts to single file.

Looks like you stayed pretty dry! They should have stopped the race long before they did. Lucky nobody got hurt. We're coming down for the fall race in Ft Worth. Maybe you can go to that one as well!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back