N. NV Newbie

I am in the same bucket. I've only hunted ducks/geese/whitetail. I don't have enough points yet in NV for an Elk draw in a unit nearby where I live. So, I'd be driving hours to scout the units I might be able to draw in this year. In the meantime, my buddy and I are buying points till we have enough to draw somewhere close to home, and ID Nonres OTC seemed like the closet opportunity to get out there every year while building points at home. I'll still probably head out late summer to hike/camp/scout the areas and scout for when I might draw in a few years.
Ya Utah has some spike only and any bull units as well otc. Seems like you’d definitely have some crowds but the two game wardens I spoke with told me the north slope unit and south slope of the Unitas there’s a Fairly large wilderness area there that’s “roadless” so as with any general season elk the more work and hiking you’re willing to do the better the odds.

Haven't seen many in the hunting areas. There are thousands in town hanging out by the man-made ponds/water features. So domesticated at this point humans/cars/dogs don't spook them. What area are you heading to? Stillwater?
We will just be jump shooting along the river. Spot and stalk goose style. More or less just screwing around. If you apply for all the elk units and opportunities in your area you will get a tag nearly every year. Or at least that has been my experience. I'm not picky. I just want a tag for an excuse to be in the mountains.

We will just be jump shooting along the river. Spot and stalk goose style. More or less just screwing around. If you apply for all the elk units and opportunities in your area you will get a tag nearly every year. Or at least that has been my experience. I'm not picky. I just want a tag for an excuse to be in the mountains.
Sweet! Which river?
For Elk, what's been your better area for draws? Ruby/Diamond/Wells/Jarbidge? I'm still a newbie, so I am limited to Rifle. Working on archery, but accuracy is not too good yet. At the distances I am consistent at so far, I'd have better luck chasing the Elk down with a dull spoon.

Sweet! Which river?
For Elk, what's been your better area for draws? Ruby/Diamond/Wells/Jarbidge? I'm still a newbie, so I am limited to Rifle. Working on archery, but accuracy is not too good yet. At the distances I am consistent at so far, I'd have better luck chasing the Elk down with a dull spoon.
Probably just along the Humboltd and a few ponds along the way. I have had good luck with all the units north of Elko but 121 by Ely is my favorite but odds are much lower there. Ruby mountain units have a depredation tag when all else fails. It can be tough to find them but i have seen them there. The season is several months long too. Best way to learn it is read the application book cover to cover but I'm a nut for information.

Just joined and am still figuring out the forum.

I live in N. NV and am getting set for my first self guided Elk/Deer hunt in ID this Oct. Doing my research and trying to figure it all out. Hoping there are some tidbits here and there I can pick up on to help flatten the learning curve.

Have hunted a couple of times before, but am still new. So if I sound like I don't know what the heck I am talking about, I probably don't!

Also, since internet messages can be easily misunderstood, I am pretty sarcastic at times. I don't mean to offend anyone, but my sense of humor usually gets me in trouble before I know it.

Hope all is well!
Welcome! We are all still learning. Hopefully we can all help pull each other up!

Probably just along the Humboltd and a few ponds along the way. I have had good luck with all the units north of Elko but 121 by Ely is my favorite but odds are much lower there. Ruby mountain units have a depredation tag when all else fails. It can be tough to find them but i have seen them there. The season is several months long too. Best way to learn it is read the application book cover to cover but I'm a nut for information.
I've been by Washoe a couple of times, but other than a couple of kayakers, there is nothing on the lake. Haven't been to Stillwater, but have heard it is pretty much froze up. Haven't done a river hunt before. Warning: likely dumb newbie question coming. How does a river hunt work?

I see you hit Panhandle 3-4 years ago for whitetail. How was it? I have the Elk/Deer tags for 2021.
Gloomy! Seen sun 15 mins probably in more than week of hunting. Its thick but a fun whitetail hunt but will probably never do it again. Muleys and elk are supposed to be there, i never seen either but its thick and i was focused on whitetails and there habitat.

Gloomy! Seen sun 15 mins probably in more than week of hunting. Its thick but a fun whitetail hunt but will probably never do it again. Muleys and elk are supposed to be there, i never seen either but its thick and i was focused on whitetails and there habitat.
Which zone #? We're have #6 for deer, but I'm looking at # 5 or 9 for Elk.

Panhandle B Tag. My buddy and I already committed to going, so I didn't look too closely at the return policy. Here is a link I found to a 2012 response regarding the topic. Is it possible to get a refund and return tags? | Idaho Fish and Game. It's a pretty old link, so I'd double check.

Downside to waiting for NV Draw is they don't release until May 19, and last year ID nonresident OTC sold out June 19. With the 2020 change to ID nonresident OTC tags, they think the sell out will be earlier. Link to ID F&G webpage with remaining OTC: Elk Nonresident Tag Limits | Idaho Fish and Game. Of the 12-13K Nonresident OTC tags, looks like there is less than 1K left.
There is a $3 return fee. If it is a hunt with a waiting period to apply again (like a moose tag), you will still have to wait even though you returned the tag. The waiting period rarely applies to OTC tags.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back