MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Mystery Ranch?

DirtyDan

Been waiting patiently for months to find out what Mystery Ranch was bringing out for their new top secret pack. Figured it would be during Shot Show. Does anyone in attendance have some info?

The Marshall is at shot show. Pics are on RokSlide. It's 6700 cu in and just under 8lbs. Don't quote me on that. That's from someone that was actually there.

that is pretty disappointing. I thought for sure they were going to come up with something to compete with SG, kuiu, and kifaru. MR is going to continue to loose the hunting market. I love their stuff, but when you have other high end packs in the 4 pound range pretty hard to justify buying an MR these days.

that is pretty disappointing. I thought for sure they were going to come up with something to compete with SG, kuiu, and kifaru. MR is going to continue to loose the hunting market. I love their stuff, but when you have other high end packs in the 4 pound range pretty hard to justify buying an MR these days.

I've heard consistently that the hunting market makes up less than 10% of their sales. Which makes sense as to why they aren't competing in the sub 5lb category. I wish they would, but I understand why they don't. By having a heavier, stronger pack they may fill a small niche for folks that are willing sacrifice weight for ruggedness.

JRYOUNG - I've heard the same thing. Hunting really isn't their business. If they lost hunting, it probably would hurt for a little while until their other lines made up for it. My Longbow is pretty indestructible though. That's for sure. Even still, the Marshall is a lot of pack for 8 lbs and still lighter then my Longbow.

I got the most confused when brandenbowhunter started pushing MR with a nearly endless string of ambiguous "hints". I've had three MR packs and like them plenty, now I just wait for their e-mails. There are some great hunters at rokslide, though it has a slight mall ninja flavor. Pretty sure there are some dudes over there who would backpack hunt for antelope does...

I got the most confused when brandenbowhunter started pushing MR with a nearly endless string of ambiguous "hints".

kid-kicking-ball_zps2toq9zah.gif

Very disappointing. I was hoping for a narrow tall pack in the neighborhood of 5000-5500cu in. Possibly a completely new Nice frame, something my Longbow would fit.
Stone Glacier is looking better all the time.

Very disappointing. I was hoping for a narrow tall pack in the neighborhood of 5000-5500cu in. Possibly a completely new Nice frame, something my Longbow would fit.
Stone Glacier is looking better all the time.
Stone Glacier is good to go, love the solo I had and Sky 5100. MR is great too, just depends on what you're after. It's really nice to call or e-mail SG with a question/issue and have a resolution direct from Kurt.

Why continue to be "patient" when you can purchase a quality product from a company that actually caters to hunters instead of them being the other 5%?

I think those who are patient will be quite happy.

Can you give a guess at a timeline? I heard about the marshall a year ago and was told by MR staff that I would be able to buy one in Aug. of 2014.... didn't happen.

As others have said why wait on a mystery when SG has a hardcore tough pack right at the 4 pound mark. If I remember right Kurt was an MR guy and tester at one time so he knows how a pack should be made.

Unless your going to say MR has a 6000cu/in pack and frame coming out that weighs 4 pounds I don't think too many guys are going to stick with them.

Last edited:
Why continue to be "patient" when you can purchase a quality product from a company that actually caters to hunters instead of them being the other 5%?

Exactly. I have a Metcalf and Longbow and I love them, but the secrecy around their new products is frustrating. Kifaru and Stone Glacier are always showing what is in development and releasing videos. I don't get this strategy by MR.

What's killing me on Rokslide is that if this were a kifaru/SG/ pack is it would have about three videos on it by now- obviously from the manufacturer, but the picture that's on rokslide doesn't show you anything. I called MR yesterday and was directed to a sale associate that "had no clue on the time frame of when to expect the Marshall to be in the showroom, maybe this spring"

There is a possibility after messaging a fellow who is down there at SHOT, that they might be posting a video of it. -if they had the time to get around to it.
It looks very similar to the 6500/7500, but the fellow via pm claimed "it's pretty neat actually"

So they have a new online catalog you can access through their menu on the left side of their site. It has a better photo and more details, but no price. They are definitely marketing it to the expedition hunting types/long backpacks. It's definitely 8lbs too.

Wonder when a lighter frame will happen. Probably another year the way these things go.

Last edited:
So they have a new online catalog you can access through their menu on the left side of their site. It has a better photo and more details, but no price. They are definitely marketing it to the expedition hunting types/long backpacks. It's definitely 8lbs too.

Wonder when a lighter frame will happen. Probably another year the way these things go.

not very impressive. just looks like a stripped down 6500. I think the metcalf is the best thing they are offering right now.

Wondering if anyone has tried strapping a Ski 5100 or a Solo to their Nice frame? Thinking it would lesson the pain of buying a whole new pack system if I could stretch it out over a couple years.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back