Mysterious Clouds

ELKCHSR

I think it's aliens... :eek: :D

Mysterious Clouds Creeping Out of the Arctic
By Dave Mosher, LiveScience Staff Writer

A new NASA satellite has recorded the first detailed images from space of a mysterious type of cloud called “night-shining” or “noctilucent."

The clouds are on the move, brightening and creeping out of polar regions, and researchers don't know why.

"It is clear that these clouds are changing, a sign that a part of our atmosphere is changing and we do not understand how, why or what it means," said atmospheric scientists James Russell III of Hampton University in Hampton, Virginia. "These observations suggest a connection with global change in the lower atmosphere and could represent an early warning that our Earth environment is being changed."

The "Aeronomy of Ice in the Mesosphere” (AIM) satellite first imaged the noctilucent clouds May 25. People on the ground began seeing them June 6 over Northern Europe.

The clouds form 50 miles above the Earth’s surface, in an upper layer of the atmosphere called the mesosphere. The puffs of water vapor and crystals appear during summer months above the Northern Hemisphere's pole as well the Southern Hemisphere’s pole in summer.

AIM will record two complete cloud seasons over both regions, effectively documenting an entire life cycle of the shiny clouds for the first time. Researchers hope to figure out why noctilucent clouds form and how they might be related to global climate change.

070628_night_clouds_02.jpg

LOL Ken...

Yea... cannabis... That has to be it...

I've read thru a number of articles on this phenomenon and non have come right out and stated it's because of global warming, but hint around to that reason...

It is curious though a new sky type formation has been noted, I wonder if it is really some thing new, or just new to use using their new equipment... :)

Dave...

You forgot to add those fuggin loggers... :D

e h I thought so, might be interesting to witness, lookst to be a little commute though :)

My father-in-law sent me this picture. I'm positive that he did not take the picture and I'm not sure when it was taken, but I remembered this thread and thought this would be a good place to show the pic.

This text came along with the email and picture:

THE PICTURE WAS CAPTURED THIS WEEK ON THE ?IDAHO/WASHINGTON BORDER. THE EVENT LASTED ABOUT 1 HOUR ?

CLOUDS HAVE TO BE CIRRUS, AT LEAST 20K FEET IN THE AIR, WITH JUST THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF ICE CRYSTALS AND ?THE SUN HAS TO HIT THE CLOUDS AT PRECISELY 58 DEGREES. ?

Attachments

• ID-WA-cloud.jpg
    ID-WA-cloud.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 41

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back