my younger brother wants to use a 410 for turkeys next spring are they enough?

is 410 enough for turkeys

• yes

Votes: 17 70.8%
  • no

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters
Yea with TSS. #9's will kill a bird past 40 yards if you've got enough pattern to hit them.

Like others said a .410 with tss is plenty for turkeys. Actually 3” .410 tss #9s have about 300 pellets and #9 will kill quite farther than you should ethically shoot at a turkey head.

The Federal shells have never impressed me [sorry Hunt Talk sponsor.....]. Apex is a totally different story.

And get an Indian Creek choke if they make one for your gun.

Photo is 192 pellets in 10" circle, 40 yards, Savage 301 with .385" Indian Creek choke, Apex #9.5s

Attachments

• CCEE5FD2-A9CB-4065-8605-A453D6D6CDBB.jpeg
    CCEE5FD2-A9CB-4065-8605-A453D6D6CDBB.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
If you're shooting lead you'll need to be 20 yards or closer. I don't think I can recommend a 410 with lead for turkeys.

Although, a 410 with lead is still easier than an archery turkey I guess.

It's plenty...with a few requirements/suggestions. Using TSS or an alternative to maximize pellet count. Tungsten is so dense that #9 shot carries the same kinetic energy as #5 lead (I believe), so having that many pellets helps. The second would be a very tight choke. I used the savage 301 turkey in .410 this year and shot my bird at 40 yards stone dead using federal TSS.

Extra challenge? I have killed a few birds with a bow and what was more than enough for me. A 410 is capable but unless he wants some extra challenge I would ask why?

My 410 weighs less than 5 pounds and will kill birds to 50 yards (I've tested it extensively at this range). The light weight is a lot more enjoyable while running around the mountains chasing merriams.

410 with TSS is a gamechanger for youth. A 75 pound kid can enjoy shooting a 410 but will quickly develop bad habits with a 20 gauge or 12 gauge with turkey loads.

Like others said a .410 with tss is plenty for turkeys. Actually 3” .410 tss #9s have about 300 pellets and #9 will kill quite farther than you should ethically shoot at a turkey head.
yeah we have a good pattern out to 30 yards

If you're shooting lead you'll need to be 20 yards or closer. I don't think I can recommend a 410 with lead for turkeys.

Although, a 410 with lead is still easier than an archery turkey I guess.
we are using tungsten

I believe I read in an NWTF magazine a while back that some .410 loads of today carry more punch than a standard 12 gauge just 15 years ago... FWIW

Lol! I got some Russian built single shot 410 that I got my kids. absolutely stones turkey out to 40-50 yards with just lead #4 ‘s. One season I killed turkey in 3 regions with it. During turkey season it just stays in the back seat. Lead number 4’s traveling at 1200 FPS are just that, don’t matter if they come from a 10,12,20,410 whatever. Your shooting at the head and neck, pattern density is all that matters and a 410 is just as capable as any other shotgun of putting pellets on the target. Just go shoot it at a turkey target at 20,30,40,50 yards with a couple different loads, see what your working with and go hunt.

Back