Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

My old girl is on her way out

Tough times. I've been there before and currently have a 14+ year old chocolate that could go anytime. They surprise you sometimes though. I had the appointment to put her down a year ago tomorrow because she hadn't moved for a few days, other than me carrying her out and back to go to the bathroom. The evening before the appointment she snapped out of it and is still going.
Thanks SO7. She's lost quite a bit of weight and is really lethargic, but we're trying some new meds and change in food to see if she'll bounce back. I'm crossing my fingers and praying she stays for a while longer. I won't keep her here past her expiration date on my own account, but I'd sure hate to see her go before she's ready. I suppose I have to hope what others have said is true... when you know, you know.

No question. It's the hardest decision there is to make. I have always thought folks are too quick on it.
But it's hard playing God to your most loyal companion
Curious to me that pets are the only animal we put down. wildlife, livestock, etc are allowed to go when they go.
Humans are kept alive as long as possible, even artificially.

Last edited:
We have a really old Weiner dog that has been with us since my wife and I got married. He's a full blown idiot and is hyper aggressive towards chickens. He went down hill really really fast a few months back. Man, when i tell you my wife and I were a mess, we were a freakin hot mess. This situation was due to an severe back injury and he had surgery with little to no chance of living thru the surgery due to his age. That night was terrible, and my dog who is much younger was so confused as to where the old fart was, running around the house trying to find him. Luckily that old fart made it thru, acting like a puppy again. Sometimes these old bittys surprise you an keep on keepin on. I dont look forward to what your dealing with, hoping for the best.

Hard to dispense any advice. Every dog and every situation is different. If you're looking for another opinion, perhaps consider your vet's. He/she can observe the dog. We cannot. Take care.

My wife is a vet and I get to be her after hours tech to hold pets for all sorts of different examinations or medications. Euthanasia’s still get to me.... puts me right back into my childhood yard with the family gathered around our beloved pet, every time.

Be there for your pup and when the time is right do it for her comfort not yours. I think too many people delay this dreadful time in their pets life because the people aren’t ready. Be strong for her and be there for her. Too many dogs get dropped off in an unfamiliar place with unfamiliar people when we owe our dogs the comfort of being there. Let her leave on a good day.

Attachments

• 3AA380FF-2D41-4894-8B30-55EBA5E985F8.jpeg
    3AA380FF-2D41-4894-8B30-55EBA5E985F8.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 8037F682-4878-4F4C-893B-90A9096838B0.jpeg
    8037F682-4878-4F4C-893B-90A9096838B0.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 35
Sorry to hear about your friend not a fun time. I’ve had to put 3 down over the years (I should say wife did) I couldn’t make that trip to the vet . We’ve been dogless for about 3 years now. Thinking about a new one when we’re pretty sure they will outlive us or at least me lol .
for sure a bummer
stay strong you will get through it.

We had a dog who developed what we were told was diabetes he had seizures on top of that. We spent a lot of money on insulin, vet visits, over night stays and special food over the course of a year or so. In the end his quality of life declined to the point that we realized that we were being selfish and that it was better to let him go. Toughest thing we ever had to do. If you decide to let your dog go, find a vet that will come to the house and assist with the rainbow bridge crossing. We did that with one of our dogs and it was SOOO much easier and he was under his favorite tree basking in the warm afternoon sun as he always did when he crossed over.

Something about dogs getting old always hits us hard.
The way I handle it is acquiring a new pup before the loss of the older dog. Generally help everyone in the family. Older dogs are also great to help pups learn accepted behavior and commands.
The only constant is change. Problem is the ones we don’t like hurt the most.
Hang in there.

My wife is a vet and I get to be her after hours tech to hold pets for all sorts of different examinations or medications. Euthanasia’s still get to me.... puts me right back into my childhood yard with the family gathered around our beloved pet, every time.

Be there for your pup and when the time is right do it for her comfort not yours. I think too many people delay this dreadful time in their pets life because the people aren’t ready. Be strong for her and be there for her. Too many dogs get dropped off in an unfamiliar place with unfamiliar people when we owe our dogs the comfort of being there. Let her leave on a good day.
Not cool, that second one had me tearing up.

I had to say goodbye to my four legged hunting buddy Sparta a few weeks ago. It’s tough man. And when I lost my old heeler after 17 years I was a wreck and still think about her all the time.
Ultimately it’s a hard decision but it’s better than watching/letting them suffer.

NO easy way to do it. You will sense or know when it's time. If your'e not sure ask your vet. They are a family member for sure. We have a cocker spaniel that real close also. I don't want them to get so bad that you can tell they are miserable and I allow it to continue to put it off just because we hate to lose them. Give her some love and squeezes every day until then.

Daisy has taken a turn for the worse. We’re having at home vet come today to give her final relief from her pain.

Prayers appreciated. I’m a complete mess.

🙏🏻 😭
That's really tough to hear. We're here if you need us. Do not think about what's coming. If you can, try to find something to do that can keep you massively preoccupied. Maybe you and wife can trade off looking after Daisy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back