Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

My fellow 7mm-08 reloaders...

My TTikka Superlite gives 2900 FPS using 140gr Accubonds and RL17, PP2000MR, and Hunter. W760 gets about 2890FPS.
RL16 gave 2877 FPS and Big Game gave 2863 FPS.

For hunting I am going to use 120gr Barnes TTSX at about 3100FPS or a little more, With RL17, PP2000MR, RL16, Or W760.

W760 gave 3108FPS and was very accurate. RL17 gave over 3150FPS.
How many grains of the W760 did you use with the 120 ttsx? I'm beginning to work some loads up for my 11 yo son. I don't need it screaming out of the barrel. Would prefer a little toned down load data. I have the w760, Varget, and H4895. Going to try and work some loads up with each and see what the Savage rifle likes.

How many grains of the W760 did you use with the 120 ttsx? I'm beginning to work some loads up for my 11 yo son. I don't need it screaming out of the barrel. Would prefer a little toned down load data. I have the w760, Varget, and H4895. Going to try and work some loads up with each and see what the Savage rifle like

How many grains of the W760 did you use with the 120 ttsx? I'm beginning to work some loads up for my 11 yo son. I don't need it screaming out of the barrel. Would prefer a little toned down load data. I have the w760, Varget, and H4895. Going to try and work some loads up with each and see what the Savage rifle likes.
Here is a place to start. Got it out of the Barnes book No3 45gr W760 = 45,116 PSI at 2804 FPS. It all depends on you rifle I use Win Case And Win WLR primers. I make the Bullets jump per Barnes Recommendation I use 2.750 OAL. That should get him started. Just remember many cases hold less powder. My Starline cases I back my loads off 1.5 grain. What rifle is he shooting. I also shoot a lot of Nosler Ballistic tips at 120gr. mostly for target shooting. I use the seconds. Good luck.

Found this thread and love the info. I am about a month or so away from starting my reloading journey. I plan on starting with 7mm-08 (as well as 30-06) and have seen enough positive feedback, here on HT, to try the 131 gr Hammer Hunters. I still am in the learning phase on powders/primers, etc.

If I am reading things it looks like a few powders work well so will have to try a couple. Varget, Big Game, RL17 and W760, seem to be getting the most love with H4350, IMR4350 and RL16 getting some mentions.

Looking forward to starting this journey!

As always open to suggestions myself.

Found this thread and love the info. I am about a month or so away from starting my reloading journey. I plan on starting with 7mm-08 (as well as 30-06) and have seen enough positive feedback, here on HT, to try the 131 gr Hammer Hunters. I still am in the learning phase on powders/primers, etc.

If I am reading things it looks like a few powders work well so will have to try a couple. Varget, Big Game, RL17 and W760, seem to be getting the most love with H4350, IMR4350 and RL16 getting some mentions.

Looking forward to starting this journey!

As always open to suggestions myself.
From what I learned using them in my finicky 7mm08 and from reading the comments of other users, these things are so easy to load you likely will find a winner with your first powder choice (especially if it is one the Hammer folks recommend). No need to burn through too many bullets, primers and powders to find a good load with Hammers.

Last edited:
After reading about Hammers on here I would definitely like to try them out. I have a good amount of reloading components on hand right now, so I probably won’t be buying anything new to try for a while though.

Yesterday I tried some Barnes in my 7mm08 and I was impressed with the results. I only shot 2 at each powder charge because I was looking at velocities and any pressure signs, but the 2 rounds were grouping well together.

Remington 700 24” bbl.
Hornady 1x brass
Rem 9 1/2 primer
StaBALL 6.5
120gr TTSX
3,178 fps, Sd 1, ES 1

This data is from preliminary load test and a small sample size, but it shows great promise.

you likely will find a winner with your first powder choice (especially if it is one the Hammer folks recommend). No need to burn through too many bullets, primers and powders to find a good load with Hammers.

Spot on here. Four out of four loads I've developed with the recommended powder/ bullet combination have given me MOA or better accuracy without changing anything. Go with what you find recommended by Steve on the hammer time forums and you'll be set.

My son’s is a rifle runs a little slower.

The round we found for his rifle with a 20inch barrel

41.5 grn Varget
Federal 215M Primers
140 grn Accubonds
2.8 COAL (found the round shot well at 2.84 and 2.80)

This gives him about 2650 FPS and sub MOA. Worked very well for his elk last year.

My son’s is a rifle runs a little slower.

The round we found for his rifle with a 20inch barrel

41.5 grn Varget
Federal 215M Primers
140 grn Accubonds
2.8 COAL (found the round shot well at 2.84 and 2.80)

This gives him about 2650 FPS and sub MOA. Worked very well for his elk last year.

Mine's into Varget too. Just wish that stuff weren't unobtanium right now

42.5 grains Varget
120 Hammer Hunter
Fed 210M primer
2.79 COAL
2900 FPS

Those Hammers let you bump things up quite a bit before encountering pressure- I could probably squeeze another 100 FPS out of that one. Pretty much like carrying a short action .280 Winchester

Mine's into Varget too. Just wish that stuff weren't unobtanium right now

42.5 grains Varget
120 Hammer Hunter
Fed 210M primer
2.79 COAL
2900 FPS

Those Hammers let you bump things up quite a bit before encountering pressure- I could probably squeeze another 100 FPS out of that one. Pretty much like carrying a short action .280 Winchester
From some post I’ve seen, Hammers seem to be a fast bullet. I’m sure you can get more speed out of yours, if you wanted. I’m getting 3000 fps with my 120 grain NBT/Varget combo out of a 20” barrel.

From some post I’ve seen, Hammers seem to be a fast bullet. I’m sure you can get more speed out of yours, if you wanted. I’m getting 3000 fps with my 120 grain NBT/Varget combo out of a 20” barrel.

Yeah probably. I'm a "300 yards and in" kinda dude though, so I wouldn't have much to gain from more velocity other than shorter barrel life. That 120 doing ~2700 impact velocity should be a hell of a package, hopefully testing it out on Kodiak next month if things go well

Yeah probably. I'm a "300 yards and in" kinda dude though, so I wouldn't have much to gain from more velocity other than shorter barrel life. That 120 doing ~2700 impact velocity should be a hell of a package, hopefully testing it out on Kodiak next month if things go well

Good luck on your hunt.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back