Yeti GOBOX Collection

My Elk Story, by Indy Jay

OK DS, will load up.

Hear that Jimmy, load up

it's probably a hunt that you will remember for the rest of your life..........thats why were there!

maybe you'll get him next year.........he should be a little slower :eek: :eek:

thats not even funny!

.....good luck,...JB

Some of you might accuse me of pissing on the picnic, but isn't it time to fess up? I'm sorry, but I just don't understand what there is to celebrate when you wound and lose an elk. We all hope he survives, but then we don't really know he will. How did you come to graze an elk across the brisket at 150yds? And how are you going to prevent it in the future? These are the questions you need to face if any sort of success is to be gleaned from it. -al

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 31 October 2001 18:56: Message edited by: EllieMae ]</font>

I didnt get the same thing out of this post that you did.I didnt get the feeling that anyone was happy about losing a animal.
But if you are a elk hunter you should understand that sometimes even 150 yard shots go wrong.
You should know as well as anyone that **** happens and I know Jay isnt saying he is happy,and im sure he is going over all the things that he ,might of,should of ,could of done different.Dont we all when it happens?
One would have to be pretty cold to not give it another thought----but then again how long does someone have to beat thereself up over it?
Sounded to me like they gave it there best shot at tracking and trying to find it.Im not sure what else you would have someone do other then to be so heart broke that they give up hunting?
I think its easy for us that arent there to say what we would do, or that it cant happen it them, but the fact is ---hunting isnt always clean and easy,and we enjoy it because we never know what will happen.
Even the fact that a shot can go wrong,or a animal can be lost.
I have to say THANK YOU to anyone that is (Man or woman )enough to put up there story where something went wrong.
There is a hugh difference between someone that makes bad decissions all the time and someone that happens to make a bad shot.

Ellie May,

You don't know me and I don't know you. I also wasn't there and won't get into any discussions about that.

I just want to know a couple things:

1. Do you know any nicer ways to bring up a topic that does have some merit for discussion, or are you just spoiling for some fight?

2. Have you ever wounded any game and not recovered it? It does happen and it seems to me that these boys gave it a pretty fair effort, and after many hours determined that it was healthy enough to leave them behind.

3. I am betting that there was much conversation about what could have been done different. We all do that. Only the worst hunters don't look back and try to figure out what could have made a different outcome.
If this is what you are getting at you have a funny way of getting you point across. Or, so it seems to me....

Bill

EllieMae
If you are indeed a hunter then you know that, as MD4me says, SH1T happens. Do we want it to happen? NO! But it does happen. Not everyone is perfect and makes no mistakes. Everything that could have been done to recover the animal was done and there is no shame in that nor is there shame in an off shot. I am still very happy with knowing that he had a good hunt, made some new friends and did what had to be done with a 110% effort.

Ellie Mae, I know you are just wanting to stir the pot. Insecure people tend to do that. It is easy to be a critic on the internet because you are never forced to defend your argument face-to-face. I was one of those tracking this animal. Between DS and myself we probably have a combined 50 years of hunting between us. No one could have tracked any better or faster than we did. The blood stopped. THat is it. He was strong enough that after 6 hrs he was still going UP and never stumbled once. He is healthy. Indy was sick about losing it, but as I told him, and as others have said here, it happens. I once missed a nice 8 pt white tail at 20 yards. Can I explain it? No. But it happened. Lay off and get a life. You are probably just jealous that he had that opportunity. Of course, it could always be peni$ envy :D :D :D

I knew I'd get this kind of response. I thought I was polite about it. I certainly didn't insult anybody personally with comments about insecurity, etc. And no I'm not just looking for a fight. I am very serious about my hunting, and wished that everyone else was as well. It just seems odd to me that in 20-some posts, there was not one mention of WHY such a short shot went so wrong, and how it's going to be prevented in the future. That, IMO, is the most important point.

I read lots of comments about the tracking effort. But I think the most important question is why did the shot go so wrong in the first place? Willingness to track all day certainly does not justify wild shots. And I am not saying the shot was wild, I don't know, that is the question I am asking. We always say how the commitment to clean shooting is what makes us ethical hunters. Then how do we explain all the wounded elk every fall? There is no shame in NOT shooting when you shouldn't.

Yes, I wounded a whitetail once and lost it. It was a combination of a rushed shot and an animal that couldn't decided if it wanted to move or stay still. I felt terrible, but what I dwelled on was how to never ever do it again. I haven't, and I won't. The tracking I did to try and recover it was an obligation and not really the point, IMO.

So, I'm waiting to hear from Indy Jay about how it went so wrong, and how it's not going to happen again. If it was poor judgement, then admit that. If the shot was beyond your abilities, then admit that. If it was due to something unexpected, then let's hear about it. If people aren't willing to discuss the real issue, I will politely bow out. -al

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01 November 2001 12:35: Message edited by: EllieMae ]</font>

WOW EllieMae :eek: How does one become so perfect?:rolleyes: I really want to know how to be as good as you are to be able to always take game with only perfect shot. It must be nice to be able to go into the field for elk and only take one bullet with you.:rolleyes: Are you really so bold and good that you expect me to believe that you do not make mistakes. He11, you do not even need to know how to track because tracking will never be an option for you.

Indy, remember that he will be bigger next year. Maybe EllieMae should go to and show everyone how it is done the proper way.

Indy--bummer about not tagging, but you guys tried to get him with a valiant effort and like the other guys said he'll be bigger and of course maybe wiser next year--I'm sure you're reliving the shot and you did what you thought was right and probably what 99.99% of us would do under the same conditions--you're not always guaranteed perfect conditions and there's many reasons shots go awry--it happens--bottom line is you guys tried to find him and it sure sounds like he'll live...chris

It's clear that some of you haven't heard a word I've said. Too busy thinking up your next hostile, insulting, immature post I suppose. Interesting bunch.

But Indy Jay, if you're listening, I'm not sure why you haven't spoken for yourself here, but I just want to impress on you that I am not coming down hard on you. We all make mistakes, and I'm no different. But contrary to what I have gathered from your friends, this is not the way it's supposed to happen, and should be taken very seriously. I have to make some assumptions about exactly what it is that happened because, instead of answers to what is arguable a very legitimate question (asked in the interest of saving both you and the elk a lot of grief in the future) I have received instead a slew of hostile insults. My advice is, rather than simply accepting that it happened, and going out to make the same mistake again, think about WHY it happened and what you can do to prevent it in the future. Practice shooting A LOT so that the shot is a given next time. Killing an elk should be fairly trivial, once you find him, especially at 150yds. If it's not, then think twice about whether or not you should squeeze the trigger. And remember that sometimes deciding not to shoot, if you don't KNOW that you can do it, is the right decision. There is no shame in letting one go if you aren't sure.

As for the rest of you, you should listen and think before you lash out. You act like a bunch of adolescents. I will leave you to continue patting each other on the butt. I'm outta here. -al

Elliemae... dont take it to hard a few guys here have been slammed pretty hard and are still a little edgy(from past problems)..

Your post was not bad unless the person reading it was on the defensive(from past problems)Then it came across as a bit harsh...

Ive been in the same situation as indyjay except mine was a wounded muley which did die and we found it the following year.. My problem stemmed from shooting a hotrod 25-06 with crappy bullets and going for a neck shot at 30 yards... While I was sick about the whole hunt, I didnt pull the trigger on another deer and had a few opertunities. It was a fun hunt cause my wife and dad and a few friends were with us. When I got back to town a week later, I walked into a friends gun store and told the story, he came off just like you did, I was even upset more and left.. He later asked me what I learned from the situation...

Might not mean much to many but it did to me.

Delw

Ellie Mae:

Your question merits a an honest response...

Here's how it went down. We were in pretty thick stuff. Thick enough that it is difficult to pick a clear shooting lane at that distance. I had picked what I thought was a clear path to the target. Being a downhill shot, I held slightly low. In this case, too low. I can't prove or rule out that my bullet struck a limb either. I was using a light load for my rifle with the understanding that my shot may come at 300 yards or it may come at 50... in hindsight, I wish I was using a heavier bullet. It may have made a difference. I can not and have not ruled out hunter error as well. I'm human. Per your post at 24Hour I'll even bet that Jack O'Conner had to track wounded game sometime in his career.

For the record, NOBODY is celebrating the loss of this animal! I've lost sleep over it and will probably think of it every day for quite sometime to come. It takes time in the field to gain the experience that you apparently have. It was a shame that this had to happen.

What would I do differently if presented with the same situation? Perhaps be more patient...

As someone before me posted, you may be here just to stir chit. If that's the case, bring it on! If you are truly concerned about hunting ethics, fine. Just learn a little tact. I'll answer any question you have...

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 06 November 2001 09:45: Message edited by: IndyJay ]</font>

Holy Crap.

Indy you should of begged her for forgiveness :rolleyes:

After reading her post here and at 24hour camp site, all she wanted is for you to tell HERThat you messed up and that you were soooooooooooooooooo sorry :rolleyes:

But then again thats just what I got out of reading all the post.

Ellie the way you put it...we should maybe comit sucide if we wound an animal :eek: ...yea thats it, that would make things better.....

get off your high horse.

Jason Lee,not sure if you know it but elliemae is a man.I just needed to point that out so no one thought it was some woman with her (panties in a wad)so to speak ;)

I've read all the posts concerning this subject and just wanted to tell you a story of what happened to me a few years back. I've always been a meat hunter so have always tried to make head or neck shots on smaller animals (not elk) so as to not ruin any meat. On the other hand, my husband has always believed that a good shot should be right behind the front shoulder. Anyway, I shot a 3 point buck deer through the head (can't remember the yardage) but when we began to field dress him, he didn't have anything in his stomach. At first we thought he was diseased but finished field dressing him and took him back to camp. At further investigation, we found that someone else had tried a head shot and had shot the deer's jaw off. The poor deer was starving to death as he couldn't feed anymore. My shot was right above the jaw and it took a little time to determine the deer had been shot prior to my shot. It was definitely a learning lesson and I no longer try to make head or neck shots on ANY animal. Under different circumstances, I could have been that other hunter that shot the jaw off that deer and it has haunted me since to think that I could have wounded an animal and made it suffer so without realizing it due to no blood trail. I think each time we shoot at an animal, whether we kill it instantly or wound it and have to track it, we all beat ourselves up thinking how we could have done it better. Each shot made is a learning experience in itself! JMHO and definitely not wanting to offend anyone! - WY Huntress

Ellie Mae posted

"Yes, I wounded a whitetail once and lost it. It was a combination of a rushed shot and an animal that couldn't decided if it wanted to move or stay still. I felt terrible, but what I dwelled on was how to never ever do it again. I haven't, and I won't. The tracking I did to try and recover it was an obligation and not really the point, IMO"

Ellie Mae
Tracking a wounded animal is more than a obligation. It is part of the hunt as so is the field dressing and packing out. The hunt does not end at the shot!

Also what was your point in taking this discussion to another site?

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back