Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

My daughter's first aytempt at walleye skin mount.

OntarioHunter

It's looking good. She needs to work on completing teeth today and seal it up. I seem to recall this client wants it mounted on a chewed up moose shed. Not my choice. The right piece of driftwood could work. Or the vintage look with a yellowed wood plaque behind it? Open to suggestions. Let's convince this guy there's a better way. He wants to hang it in local outdoors store. My daughter would like to display something that will reflect well on our 20201014_111940.jpgbusiness.

Well, "skin mount" is a bit of a stretch. The head and fins are fake. She will need to make the fins look a bit ragged and a spot ahead of the tail could use some more scale tipping. It's getting there. I am proud of her.

Well, "skin mount" is a bit of a stretch. The head and fins are fake. She will need to make the fins look a bit ragged and a spot ahead of the tail could use some more scale tipping. It's getting there. I am proud of her.
Lots of people can’t do the fins. That’s my biggest gripe on fish mounts

Lots of people can’t do the fins. That’s my biggest gripe on fish mounts
The fake fins/tail actually are very realistic ... but too thick. This evening she asked me to show her how to finish them up. I already came up with the idea of tapping fins with a fine drill from my Dremel kit and gluing in it a piece of paper clip so they could be stuck on the fish form and positioned for final epoxy fix. Worked great. Anyway, using the Dremel drum sander attachment I carefully feathered the edges of plastic fins to make them appear natural (i.e. thin) and then used fine cutting disk to notch jagged edges. Turned out a lot better than either of us expected. I love the challenge of thinking outside the box for stuff like this ... almost as much as I love showing her how to think outside the box. Life is too short to waste it following the beaten path.
20201017_082244.jpg

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back