My brother's 2011 Opening Day Velvet Muley - [Video]

MontanaWild

Here's a video I put together of my brother on opening day of the Montana rifle season. We were in north central Montana hunting mule deer and just happened across this velvet mule buck too many times to let him walk. We had hiked in a few miles but hadn't seen anything in amongst the wild, deep coulees when we finally caught this buck bedded down. We were able to get some awesome footage of him and it was pretty cool to shoot a deer in velvet during the rifle season. This was 100% DIY, public land and by a bunch of college guys on a shoestring budget. Enjoy.

http://www.montana-wild.com/the-haggard-horns-buck-episode-2/

Good looking whitetail, I mean muley, good video enjoyed it, looking forward to more.

I enjoy the videos you guys are making, keep up the good work. I was impressed with your 108 yard shot and I mean that seriously, seems like so many shows and guys talk about these very long shots, but I'm impressed when a guy gets in close and makes it effective, great job.

Hunter Orange Requirement
Firearm Hunters
• Any person hunting or accompanying
a hunter as an outfi tter or guide must
wear a minimum of 400 square inches
of hunter orange (fl uorescent) material
above the waist, visible at all times

I couldn't hear the audio, but I am assuming he wasn't "an outfitter or guide". But what is the regulation on the person if they are carrying a rifle?

Great job on the video. Few observations for whats it worth, Sponsors probably won't like the F bombs and other cursing. Also, Orange must be worn at all times, by the hunter and those with the hunter. I'm not saying I've never taken a vest off after a kill, but if I'm making a film you can bet those clips would not make the cut.

Definitely not a guide, we hunt DIY public land. That was my friends brother without the vest. We are well aware of the hunter orange requirements haha. He simply didn't want to wear one and that's his decision. Also we made these 100% on our own so we didn't have any sponsors of any kind that we had to keep happy. Obviously you guys make good points for the future. These videos were simply us trying to document hunts to the best of our ability for our first year of filming.

Definitely not a guide, we hunt DIY public land. That was my friends brother without the vest. We are well aware of the hunter orange requirements haha. He simply didn't want to wear one and that's his decision. Also we made these 100% on our own so we didn't have any sponsors of any kind that we had to keep happy. Obviously you guys make good points for the future. These videos were simply us trying to document hunts to the best of our ability for our first year of filming.

Oh, in that case, no big deal :D

It's ok guys, he didn't want to wear it.

I agree its his own decision to wear orange.what ever you can afford. Dont think it makes him an evil guy. But as a heads up i think Ted Nuggent got busted from video evidence. Although it was a much bigger offense.

I agree its his own decision to wear orange.what ever you can afford. Dont think it makes him an evil guy. But as a heads up i think Ted Nuggent got busted from video evidence. Although it was a much bigger offense.

^Really? To me it looked like he had orange on his backpack, so idk what everyone is talking about, may not have been 400 square inches, but i can't tell from the video. Great video and cinematography! I'll continue to watch the upcoming episodes. Who doesn't take their hunters orange off for one picture!? Also i know you mentioned this was all public land, DIY hunting with no sponsors at the time, so amazing work regardless of the negative comments.

MontanaWild, if I remember correctly you guys are filming with a Nikon DSLR. If that's correct, how do you keep the video shots stable when you're on the move? The little bit I've filmed with my Canon DSLR looks like I'm filming earthquakes. Just curious if there's an affordable gadget to help stabilize or if it's just me.

Did the velvet buck have testicles ? A buddy of mine shot a big non-typical velvet buck in WY rifle season that didnt have testicles.

^Really? To me it looked like he had orange on his backpack, so idk what everyone is talking about, may not have been 400 square inches, but i can't tell from the video. Great video and cinematography! I'll continue to watch the upcoming episodes. Who doesn't take their hunters orange off for one picture!? Also i know you mentioned this was all public land, DIY hunting with no sponsors at the time, so amazing work regardless of the negative comments.

The orange on his pack wouldn't make the 400 sq inch requirement, and just flat lazy on his part.

Good video, nice footage. Much better than I could probably do if I ever attempted it.

So, I just want to make sure I understand this, because I thought if you anyone accompanying a hunter they need orange. But, if you aren't a hunter, outfitter or guide, you don't have to wear it?

MontanaWild, if I remember correctly you guys are filming with a Nikon DSLR. If that's correct, how do you keep the video shots stable when you're on the move? The little bit I've filmed with my Canon DSLR looks like I'm filming earthquakes. Just curious if there's an affordable gadget to help stabilize or if it's just me.

Yep we film with a Nikon DSLR. Usually we just hold the tripod legs and walk which helps stabilize though it's not perfect. We also have a glidecam which isn't cheap but it really stabilizes your camera. It's a pain to lug around and you have to balance it if your packing it on your pack everytime you use it but it's great for follow shots. There's definitely limitations to it but for any shots you can set up it's great. I think there about $400-500 though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back